Thread: Selecting my first rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    So I finally caught a glimpse of the next Savage Rebate, which is only for Axis and Trophy Hunter models during the Black Friday week, and as the 12 FV isn't included I decided not to wait any longer. I bought a 12 FV in 6.5 Creedmoor at Bass Pro in Orlando :) As I'm a Green Card holder and my concealed permit is still in process right now, I have to wait four business days to pick it up, so I can actually get it next Thursday. I did go ahead and bought a 6-24x50 scope, bipod, 20 MOA rail and some cleaning gear too. I'll grab a basic hard case when I go back to the store next week, and a rear bag rest.

I also need to find a shooting mat from somewhere, as BP didn't have any. On that score, my local 1 mile range (Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club) is having an ELR event on Halloween, so I'm going to go check that out and see what the pro's are using for mats :) Is anyone on here planning to go to that?

BP were out of 6.5 CM ammo, so I grabbed two cheap packs of Winchester 130gr 6.5CM at my local Walmart on the way home, just to get me started. I think I'm going to buy 40 of this, 40 of that and 40 of something else - just to give me some variety to try out, as I start to get used to the rifle.

I've been looking up the way folk do their break in's and while some say it isn't necessary, I intend to see what Savage recommends in the manual. I think I want to break mine in, even if they don't recommend it. I figure it can't do any harm, and just might improve my groupings a tiny bit (uh huh!) and maybe even extend the life of the barrel a bit too. Living in the hot, humid, salt-rich air of Florida's Space Coast, keeping the rifle extra clean should surely help prevent corrosion issues.

I know it's nothing you guys haven't seen a thousand times before, but I'll share some pics when I get it home next week!

Ross.

Banned
    midway and champions choice for mats.
    if you stick to a single maker you MAY end up with brass you can shoot.
    mixed brass sucks
    mixed lots from the same maker is not much better
    buy 5 boxes from a better maker from their top line
    or just buy 100 plus from a premium brass maker
    i don't shoot 6.5 so no suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by RBT321 View Post
    So I finally caught a glimpse of the next Savage Rebate, which is only for Axis and Trophy Hunter models during the Black Friday week, and as the 12 FV isn't included I decided not to wait any longer. I bought a 12 FV in 6.5 Creedmoor at Bass Pro in Orlando :) As I'm a Green Card holder and my concealed permit is still in process right now, I have to wait four business days to pick it up, so I can actually get it next Thursday. I did go ahead and bought a 6-24x50 scope, bipod, 20 MOA rail and some cleaning gear too. I'll grab a basic hard case when I go back to the store next week, and a rear bag rest.

I also need to find a shooting mat from somewhere, as BP didn't have any. On that score, my local 1 mile range (Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club) is having an ELR event on Halloween, so I'm going to go check that out and see what the pro's are using for mats :) Is anyone on here planning to go to that?

BP were out of 6.5 CM ammo, so I grabbed two cheap packs of Winchester 130gr 6.5CM at my local Walmart on the way home, just to get me started. I think I'm going to buy 40 of this, 40 of that and 40 of something else - just to give me some variety to try out, as I start to get used to the rifle.

I've been looking up the way folk do their break in's and while some say it isn't necessary, I intend to see what Savage recommends in the manual. I think I want to break mine in, even if they don't recommend it. I figure it can't do any harm, and just might improve my groupings a tiny bit (uh huh!) and maybe even extend the life of the barrel a bit too. Living in the hot, humid, salt-rich air of Florida's Space Coast, keeping the rifle extra clean should surely help prevent corrosion issues.

I know it's nothing you guys haven't seen a thousand times before, but I'll share some pics when I get it home next week!

Ross.

Basic Member
    BP had no Creedmoor at all and Walmart only had these 40 rounds, so it was take-it or leave-it.

I'm realistic: My first shots will be lucky to all be heading towards the same compass point! :) I don't want to burn expensive rounds until I'm more confident and capable. It'll probably happen fairly quickly, but this really is my first real venture into firearms and I need to get that basic familiarity down first, before I try to do anything adventurous, like getting a decent grouping!

S&B do some inexpensive Creedmoors that people who give them a try actually seem to like, so those look like an option for general plinking but I'd really like to try some Hornady 140gr ELD's, and it looks like Nosler and Berger do good ones too. I don't know about any of the various Federal offerings, but I want to give them a go too. Right now all of the good brands are hard to find at anything like a reasonable price. The Walmart specials were less than $1 each - the others I mentioned all start at nearly twice that price and I just don't think I'm going to be good enough - yet - to actually see a difference. The more expensive ammo makes sense as soon as I feel ready to change up a gear, but these first shots will be mostly used for breaking in the barrel and then seeing where I am.

I'd also quite like a variety of different brass supplies to examine and experiment with, for when I get around to trying my hand at reloading.

I would quite like to cut up and measure a variety of once-fired brass cartridges to help me learn who makes thicker or thinner casings. And when I do eventually start reloading, I'll be able to measure how each of those different casings stretch, and how they also hold-up to repeated use too. I figure that building a library of my own measurements - and my general understanding - will ultimately put me ahead of simply relying on second- and third-hand sources of information. I'll gradually be able to confirm other people's findings, and that will help me choose which of those sources I can really depend upon in the future.

Well, that's my thinking *today*. All subject to change :)

Ross.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBT321 View Post
    BP had no Creedmoor at all and Walmart only had these 40 rounds, so it was take-it or leave-it.

Ross.
    There are websites that provide price comparators for online firearms and ammunition sales. For ammo, I use ammoseek.com. Doesn’t seem to be a deal for ammo anywhere these days but at least you can find it if it’s in stock.
    Here’s a link filtered on 6.5 CM, factory new, brass case https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-cree...sh=high&co=new. Seems to be a handful of “name brands” available for about $1.35/round and up plus shipping. Shipping prices vary a great deal between vendors so you’ll have to do some arithmetic to find the best deals. Good luck.

Basic Member
    Thanks! I've just placed an order :)

Ross.

Basic Member
    Finally got a picture to share :)

Rifle (now named "Vera" - Firefly ref!), bipod & scope: $550.

Also got a case, Caldwell chronograph, tripod, 1200 yard laser range finder, cleaning gear, bag, cans, all for another $250. In total I went a little over my $700 target, but I'm happy with the kit I've put together. Now all I've got to do is go put something through the barrel...

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Ross.

Banned
    move the scope forward..i think you may end up wearing it that far back