Thread: Selecting my first rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Two (three inc. Mike) people saying stay away from the Axis, and two votes for the 12 FV already. Cool. Comparing that to the Apex Pred, which has the better action and barrel? Asking just because there's a $75 rebate on 110's at the moment.

Mike, I don't think I'm going to be ready to look at F class for a while (trying to keep my all-in costs for this first rifle to below $750), but thanks for the info - if I get serious I know a bit more about what to be aiming for down the road! I'm not aware there even *is* a 1,000 yard range anywhere near me. I could be wrong (welcome correction!) but so far I've only found Port Malabar's 600 yard range to be the longest one within reasonable travelling distance (~2 hours).

And not sure about bench/prone yet. I think I'd prefer prone, but need to shoot a good number of rounds in both positions to see which I prefer.

Ross.

the action on the predator and the 12FV are going to be the same, but the barrel on the 12FV has an extra 2" (or 50fps roughly) Savage barrels are not "great barrels", but you do want a heavier contour for shooting 8-10 shot strings without getting it too hot and changes your POI too much.

I think you will be better served shooting from prone rather than a bench, but it is possible that the bench will work better....? I like shooting from prone whenever possible.

Banned
    you need to define WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO, before buying ANYTHING.
    "SHOOTING AT 600 YARDS" IS NOT COMPETING AT 600 YARDS.
    define the task before spending money
    i just sold a 10 something in 308 that would have worked well for f class at 600, not for br.
    for 600 a 6br on the top end of savage would probably work but even then it breaks your budget.
    bottom line your "plan" is much bigger than your budget

Quote Originally Posted by RBT321 View Post
    Two (three inc. Mike) people saying stay away from the Axis, and two votes for the 12 FV already. Cool. Comparing that to the Apex Pred, which has the better action and barrel? Asking just because there's a $75 rebate on 110's at the moment.

Mike, I don't think I'm going to be ready to look at F class for a while (trying to keep my all-in costs for this first rifle to below $750), but thanks for the info - if I get serious I know a bit more about what to be aiming for down the road! I'm not aware there even *is* a 1,000 yard range anywhere near me. I could be wrong (welcome correction!) but so far I've only found Port Malabar's 600 yard range to be the longest one within reasonable travelling distance (~2 hours).

And not sure about bench/prone yet. I think I'd prefer prone, but need to shoot a good number of rounds in both positions to see which I prefer.

Ross.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    you need to define WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO, before buying ANYTHING.
    "SHOOTING AT 600 YARDS" IS NOT COMPETING AT 600 YARDS.
    define the task before spending money
    i just sold a 10 something in 308 that would have worked well for f class at 600, not for br.
    for 600 a 6br on the top end of savage would probably work but even then it breaks your budget.
    bottom line your "plan" is much bigger than your budget
    Cheers Mike. I can't justify spending the thousand's you're talking about without first spending a good deal of time learning and practising to see if this is a sport I want to get serious about - or not.

So perhaps I should reframe and limit my initial intentions a bit. I want an inexpensive rifle that I can train with. I need something that will help me learn the core techniques of long range shooting. I have zero expectations that this first rifle will win me any competitions, or even seriously 'compete' with the mid-field, but if I can turn up at my local range once a week, it needs to be good enough to help me learn shooting techniques.

I figure my first few trips to the range will just be pure familiarization. And I'll need to spend quite a few months with this rifle, learning all I can, gradually improving my techniques before I make any decisions regarding stepping up to more serious competition equipment.

Surely something like a 12 FV with a reasonable scope (currently looking at the Athlon Optics Argos 6-24×50 FFP for just over $300) should get me hitting things at 600 yards regularly enough that I can focus my efforts on improving my groupings, practicing my breathing, timing shots with my heart rate, learning to read the wind in the grass etc?

Do you think that's a more reasonable way for someone to start out testing the waters to see if the temperatures are welcoming?

Ross.

Basic Member
    Two things are non-negotiable...
    You need a heavy contour barrel for target shooting. A light contour barrel cannot shoot consistently with the rapid heat retention that is part and parcel of target shooting.

You can get "good enough" results with a relatively inexpensive rifle like the Savage 12FV (I would also suggest you take a long, hard look at the Ruger American).

Optics:
    Can't speak to that particular Athlon, but I own an Ares BTR and am impressed with it. Vortex is another brand to look at- Midway has the Viper 6.5-20 on sale (I think they do special runs on this scope periodically) for $300. I own two of these, and are the best I've looked at for the $$ https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420772363

Make sure you understand the trade-offs of an FFP optic- especially one as inexpensive as the one you listed. FFP optics are more expensive to manufacture than SFP- so, for the same $$, you're "giving up" quality elsewhere when compared to a SFP. BR, and F-Class shooters generally favor SFP as do I- because most of my shooting is at 400-1000 yards at known ranges.

Frank explains the considerations here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-lOZ4vxk0

You can get a factory rifle that'll shoot sub-minute for relatively little coin. Get the best optic you can afford- both for clarity (which really comes into play at long range), and accurate tracking- you won't regret it.