Thread: How do I get my new bolt to run smooth and slick?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    MDT Diamond Whetstone in Red or green slid back and forth on the bolt raceway will knock down rough machining ridges if there are any.
    ^^ I did this to my 116 WW. It cleaned up pretty good.

My Model 10 223, I took a buffer wheel on a Dremel to to the bolt body. I won't post pics or pretend to be an expert but it worked. It is possible the surface on the bolt body is nasty where the cocking pin rides. I used my imagination and buffed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    ^^ I did this to my 116 WW. It cleaned up pretty good.

My Model 10 223, I took a buffer wheel on a Dremel to to the bolt body. I won't post pics or pretend to be an expert but it worked. It is possible the surface on the bolt body is nasty where the cocking pin rides. I used my imagination and buffed it.
    I pulled the bolt out of the receiver to see about polishing the rails, and saw that the machining on the inside of the receiver is horrible. The scratches are deep enough that they will snag your fingernail and they have transferred to the bolt head (which also now has scratches deep enough to snag your fingernail). This rifle has never been fired, bought new at Cabela's a week ago. I am emailing savage with this photo; surely this is a defect. The inside of my other Model 12 is smooth as glass.

Banned
    or you could by a stiller action and bypass fixing the rifle you bought.
    ouch
    just saying

Quote Originally Posted by bassnailer View Post
    I pulled the bolt out of the receiver to see about polishing the rails, and saw that the machining on the inside of the receiver is horrible. The scratches are deep enough that they will snag your fingernail and they have transferred to the bolt head (which also now has scratches deep enough to snag your fingernail). This rifle has never been fired, bought new at Cabela's a week ago. I am emailing savage with this photo; surely this is a defect. The inside of my other Model 12 is smooth as glass.

It shouldn’t be like that but you didn’t inspect it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member

When I bought my 12FV, they brought one from the the store room in back and I asked to see it before they started the paperwork. The bolt was rough and nasty so I asked them to bring me another one. The second one was just as bad so I ended up buying the display model which was pretty smooth. I'm a Savage fan but, their fit and finish sometimes leaves something to be desired.

Basic Member
    One of the last 12FVs I got looked like yours and was the least smooth of the many I have bought. I just lived with it and polished the rail with a whetstone and ran a JB paste coated bolt through it a zillion times. It continues to get smoother as I shoot. Don't know why I never complained to Savage...but it was only $220 after the rebate and discounts.