Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
^^^
Yes, with caveats.
If you handload, run several cases through your FL sizing die (I wouldn't use "virgin" brass outta the bag), measure with headspace comparator. You'll often end up with a thou or two difference, pick the longest one to use.

Pulling the bullets on a factory case, bit more risky but should work for that ammo. Using a proper headspace gauge ensures SAAMI spec on headspace so that any factory ammo should chamber.
Using factory, or sized brass, could limit the ability of other ammo to chamber properly.

When using brass to set headspace be sure to completely strip the bolt so there is no resistance. Unlike a hardened steel gauge, it's easy to deform a brass shoulder by a few thousandths with too much pressure and cause an inaccurate reading.

JMO, YMMV.
That's good info thanks! I got the no go gauge for next to nothing and my thinking is as long as I'm not being unsafe by having too much headspace I don't mind fiddling with it a bit to get everything to chamber since savages are so easy to adjust the headspace on. Thus is the thought process of a cheapskate lol. Thanks again!