Thread: Savage quality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Savages are not immune to issues. Not a problem for me though because every one I see goes through a rebuild with only a few exceptions.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I don't know what some people think is bad machine work.

I have a not inexpensive 12BVSS. I have not found any rough spots on it yet. It is matte stainless so minor issues don't really show up. The bolt can still be jammed when trying to rush a reload. Some of the edges are not stoned smooth (I would not expect a lot of hand work on a rifle at this price range). Machining is consistent and as accurate as I need.

The bore was the only rough spot (.308). Took quite a bit of work to get it to shoot anywhere near 1/2MOA but 1MOA was fairly easy to get to.

If I had it to do over again I would have done an exhaustive break in. Since I did not I ended up using some Iosso paste to smooth out the rough spots a bit. It is still a copper mine so I clean it every time I shoot it. It also does not like to be hot. Now days I shoot cast in it. Still just a bit less than MOA with cast bullets.

The real problem with most production rifles (even at these prices) is you may or may not get a great barrel, or a bad barrel. Depending on the model, Savage may replace one that does not shoot well.

The good thing is most Savages will shoot better than MOA with some doing less than 1/2MOA. Keep in mind that in this range of accuracy the shooter can be a big part of the problem/solution.

12BVSS is cheap huh? Stainless action, heavy barrel and an expensive laminate stock. What did you give for that?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    12BVSS is cheap huh? Stainless action, heavy barrel and an expensive laminate stock. What did you give for that?
    My old 12 FLVSS was pretty cheap,I paid $350 for it. Yes,It was used,but barely.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    My old 12 FLVSS was pretty cheap,I paid $350 for it. Yes,It was used,but barely.
    Thats not a BVSS but still a great price

Basic Member
    Thats not a BVSS but still a great price
    That's true,But I did put a laminate stock on it so it's basically the same rifle. Only the LH actions don't come in Stainless. It also has a SSS Competition trigger in it that the guy gave me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I don't know what some people think is bad machine work.

I have a not inexpensive 12BVSS. I have not found any rough spots on it yet. It is matte stainless so minor issues don't really show up. The bolt can still be jammed when trying to rush a reload. Some of the edges are not stoned smooth (I would not expect a lot of hand work on a rifle at this price range). Machining is consistent and as accurate as I need.

The bore was the only rough spot (.308). Took quite a bit of work to get it to shoot anywhere near 1/2MOA but 1MOA was fairly easy to get to.

If I had it to do over again I would have done an exhaustive break in. Since I did not I ended up using some Iosso paste to smooth out the rough spots a bit. It is still a copper mine so I clean it every time I shoot it. It also does not like to be hot. Now days I shoot cast in it. Still just a bit less than MOA with cast bullets.

The real problem with most production rifles (even at these prices) is you may or may not get a great barrel, or a bad barrel. Depending on the model, Savage may replace one that does not shoot well.

The good thing is most Savages will shoot better than MOA with some doing less than 1/2MOA. Keep in mind that in this range of accuracy the shooter can be a big part of the problem/solution.
    What specifically would you do for break-in?

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Probably something like this, from Savage FAQ

https://service.savagearms.com/hc/en...-in-procedure-

Basic Member
    The barrel itself, and the quality of the chambering, are the two most important factors in building an accurate rifle IMHO.
    Mass production barrels are exactly that...
    I honestly have no idea what, if any, QC Savage extends to their barrels- based on what I've personally seen I would have to say none.

As mentioned, just about every one I've talked myself into borescoping has absolutely horrible chatter from the rifling button. If I ever got a blank like that from Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen, etc. I'd put it back in the tube and send it back where it came from. Nevertheless, most all shoot "well"- meaning sub-minute, and some much better. Goes to show it's not as detrimental as many presume.

To my point, without stringent QC you can't be sure that EVERY barrel will live up to the high standards that top-end manufacturers stake their reputation on.
    Every blank borescoped. Every blank air-gauged and the bore lapped. This is why the top dogs have the reputations they do, and can get the $$ they charge. No smith (none with a brain, anyhow) will want to risk spending a day painstakingly chambering a barrel as precisely as can be done- only to have it fail to shoot due to a lousy bore.

When it comes to barrels, you can guarantee a tack driver if you spend the coin on the barrel and a smith that knows what to do with it (or a prefit from a quality manuf)
    Or, you can roll the dice less expensively with a Savage- usually you'll be a happy camper if your expectations are realistic. If not, re-barrel it- because they can be done without a smith, you're hundreds $$ ahead of the game.

The most expensive Savage I ever purchased (I usually just buy the actions) was a recent .338 LM.
    Barrel looks like sh**, but shoots 3/4 minute. In my mind, for a bit over a grand- I got a marginal (but safe) action, and a nice chassis that was worth the purchase price. If it didn't shoot, I was going to rebarrel it and it would have still been a good investment.

Keep in mind, if you're an accuracy "freak" like many of us (only accurate rifles are interesting, right?)- scour the pawnshops and pick up a rifle in your desired action length- usually $200-$300 tops will do it.
    You can rebarrel it, install a quality trigger, and set it in a decent stock like a B&C and still be at around a grand. In my mind, that's a better route than rolling the dice on a factory stick.

Savage Rifles have a positive reputation for very affordable and accurate rifles. Sometimes they have issues with barrel vs receiver alignment. I haven't dove down the rabbit hole of exactly why or what causes them to sometimes have this problem but it does occasionally happen. It has been documented on this site, verified by my local gunsmiths and has happened to me personally. Based on severity you can either #1-purchases mounts that have adjustable windage/horizontal. #2-Adjust it out with your scope (depending how much you have to adjust this may Not be a good idea) or #3 send it back to the Factory. All factory assembly line produced rifles have issues at one time or another. I would not discount any brand because they had a problem with this or that. If you want absolute perfection either build it yourself if you have the skill set or have one custom built which is going to cost a lot more!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    The barrel itself, and the quality of the chambering, are the two most important factors in building an accurate rifle IMHO.
    Mass production barrels are exactly that...
    I honestly have no idea what, if any, QC Savage extends to their barrels- based on what I've personally seen I would have to say none.

As mentioned, just about every one I've talked myself into borescoping has absolutely horrible chatter from the rifling button. If I ever got a blank like that from Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen, etc. I'd put it back in the tube and send it back where it came from. Nevertheless, most all shoot "well"- meaning sub-minute, and some much better. Goes to show it's not as detrimental as many presume.

To my point, without stringent QC you can't be sure that EVERY barrel will live up to the high standards that top-end manufacturers stake their reputation on.
    Every blank borescoped. Every blank air-gauged and the bore lapped. This is why the top dogs have the reputations they do, and can get the $$ they charge. No smith (none with a brain, anyhow) will want to risk spending a day painstakingly chambering a barrel as precisely as can be done- only to have it fail to shoot due to a lousy bore.

When it comes to barrels, you can guarantee a tack driver if you spend the coin on the barrel and a smith that knows what to do with it (or a prefit from a quality manuf)
    Or, you can roll the dice less expensively with a Savage- usually you'll be a happy camper if your expectations are realistic. If not, re-barrel it- because they can be done without a smith, you're hundreds $$ ahead of the game.

The most expensive Savage I ever purchased (I usually just buy the actions) was a recent .338 LM.
    Barrel looks like sh**, but shoots 3/4 minute. In my mind, for a bit over a grand- I got a marginal (but safe) action, and a nice chassis that was worth the purchase price. If it didn't shoot, I was going to rebarrel it and it would have still been a good investment.

Keep in mind, if you're an accuracy "freak" like many of us (only accurate rifles are interesting, right?)- scour the pawnshops and pick up a rifle in your desired action length- usually $200-$300 tops will do it.
    You can rebarrel it, install a quality trigger, and set it in a decent stock like a B&C and still be at around a grand. In my mind, that's a better route than rolling the dice on a factory stick.
    Well that all sounds good, but fact is most people buying factory built rifles arent (accuracy) freaks, including most who buy Savages.
    Fact also is that many of the factory rifles today shoot extremly well, not just Savages, which could also be for reasons other than the rifle itself.
    Lets be perfectly honest here as for the accuracy nuts using Savages.
    Most who do, do so because they dont have the machinery nor the ability to use it for chambering a barrel and installing it without a barrel nut.
    Mind you now i fully realize that building a gun on a tuned factory action could exceed the ability level of most of us.
    But tuning an action is a skill level most of us dont have either, and id venture to say most arent for that reason.
    So at what point does any of that begin to matter, or dosent it matter anyway for at least most of us who might consider ourselves accuracy nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well that all sounds good, but fact is most people buying factory built rifles arent (accuracy) freaks, including most who buy Savages.
    Fact also is that many of the factory rifles today shoot extremly well, not just Savages, which could also be for reasons other than the rifle itself.
    Lets be perfectly honest here as for the accuracy nuts using Savages.
    Most who do, do so because they dont have the machinery nor the ability to use it for chambering a barrel and installing it without a barrel nut.
    Mind you now i fully realize that building a gun on a tuned factory action could exceed the ability level of most of us.
    But tuning an action is a skill level most of us dont have either, and id venture to say most arent for that reason.
    So at what point does any of that begin to matter, or dosent it matter anyway for at least most of us who might consider ourselves accuracy nuts?

I guess it is time to shut down the gun forums. Everyone wants to talk about accuracy but that's all been done 40 years ago and there is nothing left to talk about. Why should anyone get into the sport or even modify their factory rifle? Turn out the lights...the party is over.

Basic Member
    Savages are not immune to issues. Not a problem for me though because every one I see goes through a rebuild with only a few exceptions.
    I think alot of people expect shilen select or criterion bore finish and thats just not realistic on a mass produced firearm

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I said 'not inexpensive'. :) But, not the most expensive. New it was under $1000 by a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I said 'not inexpensive'. :) But, not the most expensive. New it was under $1000 by a little bit.
    Thats what I was thinking. I paid just a little under that. I wish I had never split that rifle up

I saw another forum about a guy having a terrible time with poor quality machining.
    I think some of these "guys" have a terrible time just living. Hell just buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    I think some of these "guys" have a terrible time just living. Hell just buy something else.
    I agree, I feel sorry for their wives....all of the expectations and nothing in return.

I hear ya. There is one on another forum "BEWARE USPS"...he had a delayed shipment and it was like Santa died at his house. Just page after page of p...and moan.