Thread: And lo! It is finished!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I've been loading ammo for my shooting buddy's 338LM. He's shooting a stock Savage 112 with factory brake, and the grouping hasn't been the best. Previous 300SMK over 88 gr of H1000 proved fairly good, and 285 ELDM's shot well to 1750. But the A-Tips over RL 33 are proving to be erratic. Two in one hole at 300 yds followed by a flier two moa away.

Was talking to a very experienced Marine sniper from several wars back, and he stated emphatically that on the 338 LM, the brake MUST have a 11 degree or better crown. A flat face crown will not shoot boat tail bullets. The stock Savage brake has a flat faced crown. I'll be testing it in the near future with a different brake and will write back.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I've been loading ammo for my shooting buddy's 338LM. He's shooting a stock Savage 112 with factory brake, and the grouping hasn't been the best. Previous 300SMK over 88 gr of H1000 proved fairly good, and 285 ELDM's shot well to 1750. But the A-Tips over RL 33 are proving to be erratic. Two in one hole at 300 yds followed by a flier two moa away.

Was talking to a very experienced Marine sniper from several wars back, and he stated emphatically that on the 338 LM, the brake MUST have a 11 degree or better crown. A flat face crown will not shoot boat tail bullets. The stock Savage brake has a flat faced crown. I'll be testing it in the near future with a different brake and will write back.
    I'm still shooting ladder tests but the Area419 sidewinder hasn't given me much trouble. 9 shots with a 300gr SMK loaded over charge weights ascending from 82.0gr to 86.0gr. of Retumbo gave me a group of .85 MOA at 200 yards. This was with an ES of something like 113FPS. Not sure what the crown angle is but it seems to work. I've managed some .6MOA groups but I really think there is more in the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonNUT View Post
    I'm still shooting ladder tests but the Area419 sidewinder hasn't given me much trouble. 9 shots with a 300gr SMK loaded over charge weights ascending from 82.0gr to 86.0gr. of Retumbo gave me a group of .85 MOA at 200 yards. This was with an ES of something like 113FPS. Not sure what the crown angle is but it seems to work. I've managed some .6MOA groups but I really think there is more in the rifle.
    My little experience with big guns is that they hold the MOA further out than smaller guns obviously because of BC.
    A gun that size at .6-1 moa. Is awesome and should hold out to the 1400yd mark or better. 10” groups at 1400yds is well below moa and you should love it.

That’s pretty awesome. Good looking rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Glad to hear about the smooth action. All my savages (4) suffered from binding including the 338 FCP. Plus magazine issues too. My 338 was a great shooter though. Shoulder fatigue after around 10 rounds. Ended up selling it to fund a RPR in 338. Awesome rifle and action was smooth as butter. Heavier though. Zero shoulder fatigue after 30 rounds. Back issues got me to sell it though. Both rifles shot 285 ELD -X real good using H1000. Enjoy your rifle. Always loved shooting big boomers. I miss my 50 BMG.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS