Hello all

my first post here but I joined to avoid re-inventing the wheel on something I’m sure someone has tried. I’ve searched the threads but couldn’t find an exact answer so figure a new post wouldn’t hurt.

I have a 15 year old savage 10FP LE1 in 308 with a choate stock that’s been sitting and I have always wanted a 7mm so figure it’s time for a face lift. Goal is a longer range hunting and target rig that is moderately light (<7lbs bare) and has 1000ft-lbs of energy at 1000yds (arbitrary I know but puts it enough above my current hunting rig to make the purchase worth it).

I have pretty much settled on 7 WSM because it appears as of this minute, brass is available from 3-4 manufacturers, there are two or three factory loads for it, and I can get a 100fps bump or so over SAUM (although I’m not against SAUM but I can’t find brass for it right now). It appears the savage action and AICS magazines can support 2.95” COALs which I believe is fine for up to about 175-180 gr bullets which is all I’m after in a SA. The thought of a 150-162gr ELDX makes me plenty happy.

Right now I’m targeting Carbon6 Sendero 25” prefit in 1:9 twist (42oz),XLR Element 3.0 in magnesium with smoke composite buttstock (30oz) and folding adapter. I believe I read that the savage SA weighs about 30oz for my estimating weight purposes.

The specific questions I have are:

1) Has anyone else made this conversion and can you confirm all I will need with the action/bolt is a PTG magnum bolt face ($70), an action wrench, barrel but wrench, barrel vice, and go/nogo gauges?

2) Is 2.95 COAL enough to get close to lands with SAAMI throated 7 WSM in 150-175gr bullets and is it possible with the newer powders (targeting RL26) to sneak 3300fps out of the 150 gr and 3150 out of the 160gr bullets loaded a bit long with a 25” barrel?

3) Any feedback in my component selection with XLR and Carbon6, please recommend others if you have them. Also would love a recommendation on a trigger upgrade for the savage.

4) Any last pushes towards another SA 7mm chambering that can get close to the stated objectives?

appreciate everyone’s help.