Thread: Looking to buy new rifle.S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeediver View Post
    If I do decide to go with a Bighorn Origin action and planning to go 6.5 CM, should I go SA or LA in case I want to go with a different caliber later such as 7mm?
    I've had a couple snags when using SA designed ammo in LA, usually been magazine related. There probably is someone here that can school you better on that as my specialty is AR10s. With that, I have built my share of bolt guns and have always had best results when using SA for 308, 6.5 cm etc and LA for 338, 30.06 etc.. just my experience.. others may vary:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I built a .260 REM off of a Savage LA a couple years ago and I have had zero feeding problems. I went with the .260 because I reload and the 6.5 CM was reported to have feeding issues.

Basic Member
    You need to have a firm plan on what you want to do down the road. If it is going to be a 6.5 CM (and stay that) then use a short action. Depending on what 7mm cartridge you would use- you may want a LA. Especially if you are handloading and loading heavies. I have a 260rem on a short action and one on a long action. The throats were cut accordingly- the SA I load at 2.8 and the long action I am 3.035, and they both work great. So just make sure you have a plan on what you want to do with it- and what ammo you want to shoot.

If you are going with the Savage action then make sure you can find all the other parts (stock, chassis, bottom metat, dbm, etc) before you start. Not as many options for a savage- but if they have the combination you want then it should serve you good.

Then there is the new Badrock rifle from Ddefiance with Cone bolt head Tenacity. Honestly I'm nor sure why a tactical rifle would have a control feed and a cone boltface. Kind of defeats the purpose. Starting at 2000

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I would be tempted to go the Ruger RPR route if I didn't want to build something. Still have a barrel swap capability. Have not heard how the forged barrel works over the button rifled.