Thread: What happened?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    One cannot "blow out" an ejector......it will only jam and stick in the bolt face. I've seen extractors "blow out" but they only go as far as the extreme outside of the bolt head and jam into the receiver threads, and sometimes the detent ball comes out. If this scenario happened, it WOULD get your attention.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I am going to Lincoln tomorrow and get one of those comparators it they have one. If they don't I might wait and get that and a few other things online unless with the China virus deal the shipping would be very slow. I thought I could do it another way but there are two problems with the way I am doing it. I know it is time to do more than neck size. On the case that gave trouble I won't even tell you what I came up with for a measurement. I don't see how it would be possible to get the dimension I did and will try it again with the comparitor. The other brass that was fired I think I am safe to say that my measurements would be a fairly close and it is definitely time to do a little more than neck size with the other brass. I believe the shoulder has been pushed out .006"-.0065". The bolt has more resistance too.

I despise the digital calipers. It is nearly impossible to get the same reading twice. About the only thing is get a half dozen readings and average them. I really need to get a 0-1", 0-3" micrometer and a 0-2" would be nice but I can probably get by with the two I mentioned.

I might take the gun to a local guy that is not a gunsmith by profession but is good. I am almost afraid to shoot again until someone looks it over.

Some people take a 9mm or 40 cal pistol case and set it over the mouth and measure from base to base. After all it is a reference dimension.
    This is not my picture.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.