Thread: Savage new barrel and shank diameter

Savage new barrel and shank diameter

Hi gents I’m looking for some guidance, I have a savage 111 in 300 win mag, I looking to put a new barrel on it and I was wondering about the shank diameter. The barrel I want to put on it is a Krieger Match #17 heavy varmint. I believe that the diameter of the barrel is larger than the factory, do I need to get a new shank or will my old one work? Any guidance on this will be much appreciated.

Whatever.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongGun-308 View Post
    Hi gents I’m looking for some guidance, I have a savage 111 in 300 win mag, I looking to put a new barrel on it and I was wondering about the shank diameter. The barrel I want to put on it is a Krieger Match #17 heavy varmint. I believe that the diameter of the barrel is larger than the factory, do I need to get a new shank or will my old one work? Any guidance on this will be much appreciated.
    Check this link found in the "Savage FAQS" tab just to the right of the "Forums" tab, Savage Centerfire FAQs, page 3.: https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

I am no expert but I can not imagine how you could put a larger sized (large shank) into the action of a small shank action. That seems like a square peg/round hole thing.

You gunsmith will have to turn down the barrel before threading for your action. It has to be done with any barrel, so it's not out of the ordinary.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Quote Originally Posted by LongGun-308 View Post

Your question is a little mysterious to me. Do you already have the Krieger barrel?

With regards to the new barrel fitting your action you need to check one thing. The thread diameter.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Bugholes.com

You can get a Krieger (or other manuf) prefit and use the Bugnut system if you want a shank diameter larger than receiver thread OD.

http://www.bugholes.com/default.asp