Thread: O-ring Rod Guide for Savage 12FV .223

Basic Member

O-ring Rod Guide for Savage 12FV .223

I have attempted to search the archives here and even called Brownell's but can't seem to find an O-ring rod guide that will fit my 12FV .223 . There are tons of .223 rod guides listed but I can find none that states it is compatible with my 12FV action . If anyone could point me in the right direction , I would appreciate it . Thanks.

Basic Member
    Anything that fits a Remington 700 action will work....like the Possum Hollow #2.

Basic Member
    Thanks tenxal . Was thinking Sinclair because of recommendations on this forum . I'm not familiar with Possum brand but will look it up . Thanks again .

Basic Member
    The Sinclair is probably the nicest 'O' ring style...I have several.

This ebay seller/store has the Sinclair in stock. I've gotten a lot of stuff from them..buy with confidence.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinclair-In...ty!57103!US!-1

Basic Member
    Thanks for taking time to send the link . I'm a complete novice when it comes to these things . That's why I hesitated when I found guides for .223 which didn't list my Savage action . Thanks again .

Basic Member
    Your action is generic to model 10, 11, 12 small shank. The Possum hollow is inexpensive and works great. I have several.

while you're upgrading your equipment, I'd highly recommend you get a Teslong borescope camera. They range in price from $50 - $70, so not expensive. It'll really open your eyes to your cleaning regiment.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Thanks Texas10 . I will look into the Teslong . I've seen articles with pictures taken by borescope cameras but just assumed something like that would be above my pay grade >

Basic Member
    Ditto on the Possum Hollow models

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input on Possum Hollow . Appreciated .

Basic Member
    Possum Hollow is fine. Solid delrin.

Basic Member
    Much appreciated . Tenxal suggested Possum Hollow #2 . Again , even the Sinclair Tenxal suggested doesn't list the Savage ( or Remington 700 ) action . Curious ?? Doesn't seem like the Savage actions would be so hard to find listed in Sinclair's guides . No matter though since Possum Hollow is so recommended . Thanks.

Basic Member
    I have Possum Hollow and Sinclair. Both seem similar. Sinclair's will have a solvent hole on the guide though. The Possum Hollow guides will not and you have to buy a solvent port to add to the end of the guide, which I find rather silly that the guide does not have it already like the Sinclair.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I have Possum Hollow and Sinclair. Both seem similar. Sinclair's will have a solvent hole on the guide though. The Possum Hollow guides will not and you have to buy a solvent port to add to the end of the guide, which I find rather silly that the guide does not have it already like the Sinclair.
    Yep.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    Sinclair's will have a solvent hole on the guide though. The Possum Hollow guides will not and you have to buy a solvent port to add to the end of the guide, which I find rather silly that the guide does not have it already like the Sinclair.
    The early Sinclair rod guides were the same way, no solvent port, which was offered separately. I've got Sinclair and Possum Hollow guides and am quite certain those sold by Sinclair were made by Possum Hollow. Seem to recall Robinhood mentioning this in a prior post.

Basic Member
    Possum Hollow is owned by Eric Sinclair.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Want to thank everyone for the input. Since the Sinclair will have the solvent port , I believe I will go that way . For anyone in the future who may have the same question , I finally got the part number for the Sinclair rod guide for the Savage Model 12 in .223 Remington - it is 749-002-946 . Again , thanks to all .