Thread: A Word on Accuracy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    It took 40 years or so to break that record, which was previously.009”. A picture that was left out of this thread was the electronic photo measurement. That shows the accomplishment much more clearly. I know that this record was not announced lightly and every means possible was used to get it right.

My shooting buddy DQ’ed in a 600yd relay, where He had a small group of 4 holes on the inside edge of the 9 ring. The scorers, knowing His shooting history, felt it was unlikely He shot 4 that well but missed the paper entirely with one. They bent over backwards to find a 5th hole but could not. Did He put 2 in the same hole at 600yds, or did one miss the paper entirely? We will never know.

Before anyone calls BS on this record, do YOU have a group that challenges any current records?

Before anyone calls BS on this record, do YOU have a group that challenges any current records?
    For me the record is not the issue. It is the ability to measure .0007 (.0001) in a piece of paper. I measure metal everyday with almost everything i do looking for .0005 or better. Where 10 seconds with 320 grit sandpaper at 350 rpm makes a measurable change. It is very subjective. When the design a type of paper or target medium that does not tear then it means something to me.

I have never used any scoring tools or devices so maybe Im speaking out of ignorance but .0007"... come on.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I too am not unfamiliar with small measurements. I also understand the paper issue. Would You feel better about it if they called it .0075”or .008”? Was the old record not indeed broken?

Im not sure what would make me feel better or even if my feelings mean anything. I have this opinion however that unless I see some trick measuring device, I call BS on anything to the 4th decimal place. I don't believe in Magic or Fairies either.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.