Thread: New Model 11, 260 Remington on the way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by houser52 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the reply.

>I tried resting the fore end in different positions on the front bag. Front, middle, action screw and everything in between, made no difference.
    >I have not tried a B&C stock yet although changing out the stock on my Remington Model 7 did cure my accuracy problem with it.
    Ahhh......I misread about the Bell/Carlson. Good Luck on this, hope it turns into an easy (and not too expensive) fix.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
    Ahhh......I misread about the Bell/Carlson. Good Luck on this, hope it turns into an easy (and not too expensive) fix.
    Thanks. I sure hope it's the stock causing the accuracy problems. If I have 2 shots almost in the same hole then on the third shot it may be 3 " high and 4" right, something's not right. I have another scope to try to see if it's the scope however the Sightron has been fine on my 7-08 Rem.

Basic Member
    I swapped out the Sightron scope for a Vortex Diamondback and rechecked the torque on the mount and rings. After shooting another 20 rounds or so it is still shooting unacceptable groups with no improvement. I ordered and received a B&C stock that I'll put on it after I receive the "bottom metal". Hopefully it'll shoot better but if not the next step will be to glass bed the stock

Basic Member
    Before you do anything irreversible then I would look up Savage's recommended ammo and shoot it. I'd keep the target for record. If still largish group then call Savage. From what others have reported Savage will fix the problem if it does not group near or under MOA.

Basic Member
    Thanks. I sure hope it's the stock causing the accuracy problems. If I have 2 shots almost in the same hole then on the third shot it may be 3 " high and 4" right, something's not right. I have another scope to try to see if it's the scope however the Sightron has been fine on my 7-08 Rem.

Textbook symptoms of poor action to stock fitment, and/or a barrel that's not fully free-floated.

Did you slide a business card down the full length of the barrel channel to check for free-float?

Basic Member
    Thanks hamilton and tobnpr. Yes the fit of the stock or lack thereof is what I was concerned about too. The barrel isn't snug in the stock (sloppy) until the stock screws are tightened.
    One of the first things that I checked was to see if the barrel was free floated. It was but I opened up the channel a little more, enough to slide 2 business cards all the way to the barrel nut.

hamilton- While I'm waiting on my bottom metal to get here I think I'll bed the recoil lug and front of the action to see what that helps. It's supposed to be raining this weekend and that will be a good time to do it.

Basic Member
    Change of plan. Bedding the factory stock will be put on hold.

When I got home my bottom metal was in the mail box. Looks like I'll get the action put in the B&C stock this weekend after all. If I get a break in the weather I'll see how it shoots.

Change of plan. Bedding the factory stock will be put on hold.

When I got home my bottom metal was in the mail box. Looks like I'll get the action put in the B&C stock this weekend after all. If I get a break in the weather I'll see how it shoots.
    I’m not to familiar with after market stocks. If I had to guess no matter the stock your action and recoil lug are not going to be a exact fit. As the gun recoils.. it may shift or flex, lack of better terms within where it started. Bed it. Or at least it needs to be on metal pillars or rails or a block. I’ve seen improvement even from skim bedding a aluminum block or rails “bedded” rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    I’m not to familiar with after market stocks. If I had to guess no matter the stock your action and recoil lug are not going to be a exact fit. As the gun recoils.. it may shift or flex, lack of better terms within where it started. Bed it. Or at least it needs to be on metal pillars or rails or a block. I’ve seen improvement even from skim bedding a aluminum block or rails “bedded” rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Bell and Carlson stock that I'm going to try is synthetic and has an aluminum bedding block. The aluminum also runs up through the fore end and into the butt stock handgrip making it very rigid. I used the same model of stock on a Rem Model 7 with excellent results without needing to bed it. I'm not sure if this one will shoot as well without bedding but I'll try it then bed it if needed.