Thread: Savage 112V J Series 223 Remington rebuild

Basic Member

Savage 112V J Series 223 Remington rebuild

I rebuilt this original 223 Rem. 112V. Again this barrel was heavily shot and not to mention the bore was pitted so it wasn't well taken care of. Stock was never bedded.

New barrel again duplicates the original Savage varmint barrel. Rifling is 5R and the twist is 1-7. Chambered the barrel in 5.56 Wylde which is a cross between 223 Remington and a 5.56 Nato.

Receiver face was trued. New ss recoil lug was double pinned to the receiver. Same way we did the 6BRA rebuild. Pinned at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position.

Bolt face was trued/recut and the lugs lapped.

Stock was pillar bedded.

Also I sent the stock to Doan Trevor and he modified the original stock for me to make it into an adjustable check piece. The hardware for the adjustable cheek piece is from KMW.

Bolt handle was threaded so we could put an oversize bolt knob on to it as well.

Scope base is a EGW 20moa and I thru on a inexpensive Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x. Optics are o.k. but the scope tracks and holds zero. For a starter gun for a 12 year old to teach him the basics of target shooting, reading wind, pulling the trigger and reloading....it fits the bill.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191130_182810.jpg   20191130_182828.jpg   20191130_182822.jpg  

Basic Member
    Forgot on this one as well. Scope rings are Badger Ordnance 30mm.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
    I rebuilt this original 223 Rem. 112V. Again this barrel was heavily shot and not to mention the bore was pitted so it wasn't well taken care of. Stock was never bedded.

New barrel again duplicates the original Savage varmint barrel. Rifling is 5R and the twist is 1-7. Chambered the barrel in 5.56 Wylde which is a cross between 223 Remington and a 5.56 Nato.

Receiver face was trued. New ss recoil lug was double pinned to the receiver. Same way we did the 6BRA rebuild. Pinned at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position.

Bolt face was trued/recut and the lugs lapped.

Stock was pillar bedded.

Also I sent the stock to Doan Trevor and he modified the original stock for me to make it into an adjustable check piece. The hardware for the adjustable cheek piece is from KMW.

Bolt handle was threaded so we could put an oversize bolt knob on to it as well.

Scope base is a EGW 20moa and I thru on a inexpensive Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x. Optics are o.k. but the scope tracks and holds zero. For a starter gun for a 12 year old to teach him the basics of target shooting, reading wind, pulling the trigger and reloading....it fits the bill.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels
    Sounds pretty nice for a teaching firearm lol.. I'm teaching my 7yr old girl with a factory s&w lr22a lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Really nice Rig Frank like that stock !!
    D

What loads are you thinking? What range to be shot mostly?
    Beautiful firearm!
    I really admire the cartridge.
    Did you cut the chamber for anything particular load OAL wise?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    What loads are you thinking? What range to be shot mostly?
    Beautiful firearm!
    I really admire the cartridge.
    Did you cut the chamber for anything particular load OAL wise?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Range wise mostly from 100 to 600 yards. If need be it can be stretched to a 1k for FTR class. Only bullets shot thru it so far have been 75 Hornady, 80 Bergers and I have some Hornady Amax that I want to shoot thru it. Maybe try some of the new ATIPs when they are available if the twist is fast enough. I’ve shot the 6mm, both 6.5’s and the 230gr 30cal. ATIPs and all have been awesome.

No I didn’t cut the chamber with the 5.56 Wylde reamer for any particular load. I went with it because it’s got a slightly longer throat then a 223 Rem chamber so I/he can shoot the longer heavier bullets better but didn’t want a really long throat or a 5.56Nato chamber in the barrel.

Later, Frank

Basic Member
    Nice build Frank
    Thank you for sharing
    Jack

Basic Member
    DDinMN and JW (Jack) Thanks for the nice comments!!!!

I did have second thoughts about modifying the stock to an adjustable cheek piece. I didn’t lose too much sleep over it as it wasn’t one of the stocks with the checkered pistol grip and if I want to return it back to original looking I picked up another stock off of Ebay that was also NOS.

That adjustable cheek piece makes it much easier for a proper cheek weld/viewing thru the scope. Overall it just makes it more enjoyable to shoot.

Later, Frank