Quote Originally Posted by 03fxsti View Post
I am very anxious to oder my barrel. Sounds like there aint a nickels worth of difference quality wise between most of the top enders, but I’m leaning toward the Shilen
The cut rifled barrels last longer than a button rifled barrel. Not just me saying it either. That’s feed back I get from ammunition and bullet makers using test barrels in controlled conditions etc...button rifling and hammer forging work hardens the bore of the barrel and this works against you in regards to barrel life.

Also the 5R rifling has been proven to fight bullet failure. Both Sierra and Hornady have confirmed that to me earlier this year. They have been using and doing testing with 5R rifling now for probably at least 5 years or more in some cases. How can you say? This is because of the odd number of lands and grooves. The lands don’t directly oppose one another and the helps fight bullet failure. No you don’t get it with a 3 groove barrel. Why? The lands are much wider in a 3 groove so you still have a portion of one land opposing another.

Also the bore uniformity in cut rifled barrels is more consistent than a button barrel. We also don’t induce any stress into the barrel blank and not to mention twist uniformity is always there with a cut barrel vs. a button barrel.....so I always say....

The straighter the barrel blank, the more uniform the bore and groove dimensions are over the length of the barrel and more uniform the twist and the more stress free the barrel is the more forgiving the barrel is going to be. No way around it!

Hardly anyone in BR is shooting a Shilen anymore. Nearly all of the top shooters are using our barrels. Pretty much top in F class as well and in PRS. That is saying something as well as now the Ko2M shooting.

Can other brands make a good stick? Sure but it’s the consistency from one to the next that is going to make it hard to beat.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels