Quote Originally Posted by chindits View Post
Thank you for the muzzle diameter information. That's something I can sink my teeth into by finding contours with that muzzle diameter and putting those numbers into a barrel weight calculator and seeing where that gets me. This could be the nail in the coffin.

True I could go with a shorter barrel to save weight and it would be stiffer too. I don't know about doing that with a magnum as it just seems like leaving unburned powder in a barrel is a waste, but at only 600 meters maybe this is irrelevant.

I am familiar with Manners and McMillan light weight stocks. They would do little for a top heavy muzzle heavy carry rifle unless I changed the barrel profile too. For that money I could get a Tikka and ammunition. Besides, I still like wood stocks on cold days and apparently other companies like Cooper and Montana have found a way to make wood stocks work and so will I.

6.5 prc looks good on paper, like a super .270. However, I will wait until more than one company with two options of bullets is in the game. I haven't had issues with Hornady, but I don't want to gamble that a new rifle will shoot the only commercially offered ammo well and I don't want to reload.

6.5-284 and 6.5-06 all of which I'm not familiar with. I'll first see if it is a locally offered ammo and then research what the numbers are on it. I still want something I can pull off the shelf. Yes usually I can order any ammo on line, but CO has a thing where occasionally left over tags become available to next person in line with very little notice.
Don’t trust the barrel weight calculators! Sometimes there right on the money and other times they are not even in the ball park!!!!!

Click on the contour page of our website. Not every contour is listed but the ones that do have weights listed with the contour. Those weights where taken from an actual contoured barrel.

6.5PRC ammo....Yes Hornady is the primary one right now but other ammo places are either starting to make ammo and or are in process. Also other places like ADG are already making brass. We got about a 1k pcs in at work a couple of weeks ago. Copper Creek ammo and a few other places are making ammo. Also a couple of ammo companies overseas have already purchased test barrels and most likely ammo from overseas will be available as well.