Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
Me personally, I would just build a 6.5x284 instead of the latest 6.5 that comes out. I didn't really get the point or use of the 6.5prc. It's too overbore IMO for PRS, will wear the barrel much faster than a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260, which translates to being hard to control the recoil.

Which brings me back to a 6.5x284. Yes it will run best on a long action, but use can use a standard 308 bolt head. Another advantage is the tremendous amount of reliable reloading data on the internet and books for this cartridge.
I looked at the 6.5x284 also, but decided to shy away from it because its not a SAAMI spec cartridge. I'd probably just go to the straight .284 in that case/situation. But then I'd have up size the Lapua 6.5x284 brass and apparently that process created doughnuts around the neck. Which in turn just creates more work in case prep etc... then I want. I am a hand loader, so it is an option. I'd just rather stay with something that requires a little less work to make it shoot well.

In regards to the 6.5PRC being hard to control the recoil... I've seen a 105 pound woman manage to shoot it well although it did have a brake on it (which I would too). I figure it would be comparable to shooting a .270 Win with the 145 ELDX at 2900+ fps.... But that's just my guess.

I'm still wondering about having to tweak anything on my magazine if I move from the 30-06 to the 6.5 PRC, 6.5x284 or just a straight .284.