Thread: Model 11 .223 light primer strikes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OK, I just checked the head space dimension. Best that I could anyway with calipers. I am very close, if not right on the dimension. Went further with the scotch tape trick. I was able to lock the bolt with 3 layers, but it was getting tight. At the 4th layer, the bolt was very tight but I was able to lock it. I could tell that the tape layers were compressing while locking. I didn't try a 5th layer because of how hard it was to lock the bolt with a 4th layer.

Thanks Stumpkiller, I will look into these tools. All I have right now are 6" calipers.

Basic Member
    Tight on 3 & 4 says it may not be totally headspace. Although if you can get them "snugged" up some will still be a good thing. Your original posts says firing pin protrusion .050 or less....i shoot for .040 or so and others go as low as .035. But a lot of factory stuff comes out at .060 or a hair more.
    If you adjust the depth keep in mind each tab on the "locking" washer is about .008+.
    I hope you get it figured out, keep us posted.

In a previous post I explained how I cleaned the bolt assy, no lube was left, wiped dry.
    You did post that, however I had know way of knowing if you disassembled it to clean under the cocking piece sleeve or if the sleeve slides back and forth easily. After reading your comment directed toward Randy, I would fix the headspace issue before I tried anything else. So no, the extractor does not provide the necessary force to keep the case from thrusting forward as the pin impacts the primer.

Since you have the Axis style firing pin and spring assembly you might also read some of the recent Axis post discussing light primer strikes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Since you have the Axis style firing pin and spring assembly you might also read some of the recent Axis post discussing light primer strikes.
    That is interesting. .. Explains why all the replacement springs I am seeing were different configuration.
    The cases that do fire are dented well enough to ignite the primer. I believe I will cease the firing spring replacement until I can verify the head spacing isn't the problem. I've re-seated the remaining 15 rnds to 2.205, from 2.175, to get the bullet into the lands.

And my apologies robinhood, re-reading my response, it could have easily been taken as a bit snotty, and that wasn't my intent. I disassembled the bolt to verify that it wasn't gummed up and dragging, causing the light primer strikes. And you are correct in that my bolt assembly is the Axis style. Used this video to learn how to disassemble my bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuY8wGb-UBk

Update:

finally got out to the range to shoot the reseated rounds. All 15 rounds fired. I had one round from a previous test group that I tried as well, it FTF! And this was a round from a test group early on that all had fired. I have 50 brass that have now been fire formed in my chamber. I neck sized these, so now I’ll go back and set the depth off the lands and see if these will fire. With the bullet in the lands, my 15 shot group opened up to 1 1/2”. Previously, I would have put 15 rnds in an 1” square. For the other sized brass I can play with bullet depth if I want or just go back to the depth I just used to fire form the brass.

thanks again guys for your input.

Keith

Good news.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik