Thread: How long does it take for your Savage to "settle in" when changing a barrel and reinstalling into a bedded stock?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I bedded the action with Marine-Tex. The action is fully supported, minus the tang. I have not done the screw torque optimization technique. I torqued the action screws to 45 inch pounds. The barrel is free-floated all-around.

Tony.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBen View Post
    I bedded the action with Marine-Tex. The action is fully supported, minus the tang. I have not done the screw torque optimization technique. I torqued the action screws to 45 inch pounds. The barrel is free-floated all-around.

Tony.
    A short article on action screw torque from the Savage F-TR Team Captain -

https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...torque-tuning/

You probably know all of this already, but new Savage CF rifle owners (like myself) may benefit.

Basic Member
    Assuming all components are high quality including the recoil lug. Even a good pinned lug can rotate slightly in the lug notch if not a perfect fit. Is there ample clearance in the bedding under the recoil lug? By the way your bedding job looks great.
    As others said there is really no "settling" in with a barrel change with good bedding and pillars.
    Nice looking rig too.

If the barrel hasen't had many rounds through it, more break in may be required before it settles down. Try handloads in it to see how they do. You may have to play with seating depth until you find the sweet spot.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67