Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to build a 300 rum

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    I've read a lot about the Weatherby MKV over the years too. Again, I am by no means an expert. But from the measurements I've read, I just don't see what makes the MKV so much stronger. The measurements I've read on the locking lugs shows no more bearing surface area of them than with two large locking lugs. The receiver ring and barrel shank are the same size as a Remington or Savage. Not trying to argue, just thinking out loud based on what I've found.

I've spoken recently with other guys who shoot Savage Lapuas and have a lot more rounds through theirs than I do mine. They have not found any increase in headspace or any indication of lug setback. There are many factors unknown that could come in to play. I'm wondering if the users who've had issues have either been shooting hand loads that are way too hot, well over max, or if they've got too much oil in their chamber that they didn't clean out. This could cause issues with any size cartridge due to the case not being able to grip the chamber walls upon firing and causing too much bolt thrust. I always swap my chambers with a degreaser after cleaning and prior to firing them.

Also, as litigious as society is, and as hard as the left is trying to shut down the firearm industry, 2nd amendment, etc, I can't for the life of me understand why Savage wouldn't recall them, issue warnings, and stop production of them if there was any indication that they were too dangerous/unsafe to operate. Again, if someone were to try a Lapua on a standard Savaqe action, I'd say yeah they're asking for trouble. But with the actions Savage makes that are specifically for the Lapua, I've yet to see anything detrimental. I'd like to see photos of the actions and their lug recesses that are claimed to have setback, as well as know what loads they were using, and if they had oil in their chamber or not.
    Well you do have the opinion of one professional gunsmith who if anything has earned a reputation with Savage products.
    That should at least cause enough concern in my opinion to be asking those questions to other professionals.
    As for a specific action, my grandson has a 308 model FCP if my memory is correct.
    It was available in 2 different chambering, 308 and 338 Lapua.
    So other than the boltface, was the 308 a different action than the Lapua?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well you do have the opinion of one professional gunsmith who if anything has earned a reputation with Savage products.
    That should at least cause enough concern in my opinion to be asking those questions to other professionals.
    As for a specific action, my grandson has a 308 model FCP if my memory is correct.
    It was available in 2 different chambering, 308 and 338 Lapua.
    So other than the boltface, was the 308 a different action than the Lapua?
    It does give me some concern and I respect Fred's expertise. All I'm saying is, I hadn't heard it anywhere else but from a few on here and haven't experienced the issues myself. As to your question about the FCP, yes it absolutely is a different action. They are not just putting a larger bolt face on the bolt of a standard 110 action. Have you seen the Lapua actions Savage makes? Of course the 308 is a short action as well. The Lapua actions are large shank, have a small ejection port to make the receiver stronger, are heat treated differently to make the steel stronger overall, and also have thicker locking lugs for greater shear strength. Like others have said, it would have been better had they made them wider too for greater surface area. If you haven't looked at one of their Lapua actions first hand, do so if you can, or look at photos online and you'll easily notice the smaller ejection port. And I still keep coming back to the question of, if it's not safe then why hasn't Savage recalled them? I'm at work now but if you'd like I can post a pic of mine after I get home to show how the receiver opening is more enclosed.

Basic Member
    If I were to build a rifle and wanted to use a 338LM cartridge, I would look at a receiver built by Stiller, the TAC 338. Personally I went with the Mausingfield for my 300 Norma Magnum build.

Savage actions have their purpose, but I wouldn't build a 338LM and cartridges like that off of a Savage action. If you still want to shoot long range, I would look at a wildcat cartridge such as the 7mm-300 Win mag. Or go to the 300PRC. If you insist on wanting to shoot something bigger, than look at a receiver better designed to handle the pressures.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    It does give me some concern and I respect Fred's expertise. All I'm saying is, I hadn't heard it anywhere else but from a few on here and haven't experienced the issues myself. As to your question about the FCP, yes it absolutely is a different action. They are not just putting a larger bolt face on the bolt of a standard 110 action. Have you seen the Lapua actions Savage makes? Of course the 308 is a short action as well. The Lapua actions are large shank, have a small ejection port to make the receiver stronger, are heat treated differently to make the steel stronger overall, and also have thicker locking lugs for greater shear strength. Like others have said, it would have been better had they made them wider too for greater surface area. If you haven't looked at one of their Lapua actions first hand, do so if you can, or look at photos online and you'll easily notice the smaller ejection port. And I still keep coming back to the question of, if it's not safe then why hasn't Savage recalled them? I'm at work now but if you'd like I can post a pic of mine after I get home to show how the receiver opening is more enclosed.
    Well if in fact the FCP is the Lapua special action, then yes of coarse I’ve seen one since i bought it, cleaned it, and was the first to shoot it.
    I didn’t scrutinize it and compare it with other Savage actions i have however, nor would i have had the expertise to pick out differences if i had.
    Which in my opinion is a major issue with hobby gunsmithing and even with some so called pro’s.
    The gun is by the way as accurate right out of the box as any custom gun I’ve ever owned. We didn’t even bother with load work up as the first group was that good. But then the 338 Lapua or a 300 Rum is a different animal than a 308 for sure.
    How long have these things been being produced? Not all that long to my memory.
    And how many rounds will the average guy send thru them assuming its simply a hunting gun?
    That to my mind might be the reason we’ve not heard more about it.

Basic Member
    If you're referring to your grandsons' 308 FCP, then no it's not the Lapua action but a standard action. However, if you buy one in 338 Lapua, it has the specific action I'm referring to. I believe you misunderstood. Only the ones chambered in 338 Lapua are going to have that special action, except I believe they are using the same action on certain models chambered for 300 win mag as well. But the 308 would have the standard action.

How long have they been chambering the 338 Lapua? Since at least 2009 or 2010 to the best of my recollection, maybe longer. So yeah it's been a while now and still no recalls on them.

And no, from what I see, more folks are using them for target shooting at long range and shooting many more rounds than one would with just a hunting rifle. I just spoke to a gentlemen the other day who's shooting a 110FCP and asked him if he'd had any issues with lug setback. He has about 3000 rounds through his and says he's noticed no difference in headspace.

I myself have two Savages in 338 Lapua. One is a 110 LRH and the other is a 112 Magnum Target. Now I don't have as many rounds through mine but have had no trouble with them either.

I think you guys may have misunderstood me or maybe I've misunderstood you. So just to be clear, I am not advocating that they should/can be safely built on a standard Savage action and never have. But there are distinct differences in the factory made Lapua actions Savage is building. Dimensionally they are the same size as a regular Savage long action, and I will admit as others have said, it would have been better to make the action bigger overall. However, it does undergo different processes to make it stronger as I've stated before. I did not have time last night to pull mine out of the safe and photo it next to a standard action to post but will try to make time to do so asap. But I promise you a model 10FCP 308 is not the same animal, action wise, as the 110FCP in 338 Lapua.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12