Finally an update...

Due to all that's going on, and other issues, I hadn't had a chance to take the rifle out until now.

Spent some time at a 100M private range over the weekend, mostly sighting in and doing a break-in. Taking the advice of charlie b, I decided to spend some time doing a fairly exhaustive break-in procedure based on Savage's recommendation. Basically shoot...clean...shoot...clean...repeat...

My first shots with light ball ammo were disappointing. After finishing the break-in process I went to some PPU 168gr, with better results, but still plenty of room for improvement. After a box of PPU I changed to Federal GMM 168s. As the rounds started to add up the groups started to improve.

By the end it had done 2 back-to-back 3-round groups of 1" at 100 M. One by me and one by my son.

Not a definitive accuracy test I know, but it was very encouraging. I'm sure my technique can use some improvement.

I'm planning to attend a Long Range class when the local range offers it again, and will be able to see how it holds up out to 600 yards.

So far so good, and I'm happy with the rifle. I have about $1300 in it total with the scope, mount, and bipod.

The 12X SWFA scope ($300 reg price) is very bright and sharp. I've changed over to all Milrad scopes, and I really like them. When shooting at 100M, you can just measure the distance in cm the shot needs to move - and that's the number of clicks. 1 click = 1cm @100M and so on. Simple (like me).