Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
Hunting numbers are definitely down everywhere, and like Robinhood mentioned a LOT of that has to do with private land access and the overcrowding of public land.
That may well be true in some states, maybe even most.
But it certainly isn’t true in PA, which has millions of acres of open public land.
And the non res license cost is as of last year 100 bucks.
Several million is owned by the PGC bought with money from license sales over many years.
Also millions of acres of state owned land known as state game lands, but open for all the public to use.
So nothing has changed with regard to land available to hunt at least there.
Certainly in the more populated areas housing developments have taken much land, none of which which was ever public owned.
In fact the amount of open land in some parts of the state has actually increased in my lifetime.
In the late 40s when i first started it would require an entire day of traveling to get from where i lived near Philly to where we hunt.
Today with the modern cars and better roads a trip from the Philly area is about 5 hours, Harrisburg is 3 hours, also 3 hours from Pittsburg.
Hunting camps were gathering places where friends got together for an annual event. Today those events happen on an IPhone screen,
and we don’t need any friends other than those. We see it every day every place we go, including our homes.
The decline in hunter numbers is in direct correlation to the increasing popularity of computers, at least as i see it.