Thread: Help with a CIL 950 C

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Question Help with a CIL 950 C

I picked this up today.I only know a little about them.It is 22-250 so wondering if it is a replacement barrel ? or an oddity?..... as I'm only 10 minutes away from the plant and unusual things show up here.

Looks like a Savage Model 110C. Dont know the year.
    https://gun-data.com/canadian_Industries_Ltd.htm
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I've seen that and most had a detachable box mag too this particular one doesn't. The barrel is stamped 110 H
    Not a clue what that really means

In savage nomenclature.
    H was for Hinged floor plate.
    C was for Clip(detachable box magazine)

What does the bolt head look like?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    In savage nomenclature.
    H was for Hinged floor plate.
    C was for Clip(detachable box magazine)

What does the bolt head look like?
    There never was a "110H". That's Savage confusion speak for "Model 110 Series H". Same as there was never a Model 110J, but we see plenty of factory barrels stamped that way. The Series letter just referred to small parts changes over the years and was used by the factory to make sure they used the right version of those changed parts if it ever came back for warranty work. And before you ask, no - nobody has a clue what series letters indicate what parts were changed or what years they're associated with or anything else. Info on the Series letters is a big black hole.

Interesting that the stock is the same style used on the 110P and 110 PE's made from 1966-1970. Should be stamped "Sile of Italy" inside the barrel channel as that's who made them. Every other CIL 950 I've seen was the 950T Target model which had a heavy barrel and target style stock like the one pictured here:
    https://www.icollector.com/CIL-Mod-9...sigh_i21695855

As for the barrel and caliber, clearly it's a factory barrel and the stamping appears to be properly oriented so I would have no reason to believe it wasn't original to the rifle. The .22-250 cartridge was standardized by Remington in 1965 and Savage started offering it in their rifles in 1966. Your barrel doesn't have the "barrel bump" for the rear sight like those made from 1958-1965 so it's clearly a 1966 or newer and therefore could be a factory 22-250 from the latter half of the 1960's.

What's the serial number start with? (i.e. 12345XX)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks Mr. Baker you were definitely very helpful.By what I think I know yes these 950 C's came with Sile stocks.This is the serial #