Alright - as a retired Industrial Engineer where NUMBERS was an integral part of my job for 40 years - (I hate NUMBERS) Consider you had nothing to do but shoot your .308 and an unlimited supply of bullets.

A typical "Shooting Cycle" = pick up your rifle, take out the Mag, put rifle down, open a box of bullets, load 4 cartridges, put the mag back in, shoulder/bench the rifle, open/close the bolt to load 1st round, aim (5 seconds to aim), pull the trigger, rotate the bolt to unload/load 2nd round, aim, fire, rotate the bolt to unload/load 3rd round, rotate the bolt to load unload 4th round, set rifle down on bench, take out mag, start over. I figure about 5 seconds to aim and that is pretty short time. A lot of us take a minute or more and when hunting I have seen 5 minutes. Anyway we are just target shooting so this whole Shooting Cycle takes about 2 minutes to load and fire 4 rounds. This is just a rough average, some shoot faster and some shoot slower.

4 rounds every 2 minutes times 30 = 120 rounds every hour or about 1200 rounds in 10 hours of nothing but shooting (and 4 days in the hospital after your surgery to repair every broken bone and muscle in your shoulder - - - - - -) 2400 rounds in 20 hours, 3600 rounds in 30 hours, 4800 rounds in 40 hours (one work week of nothing but shooting - might be heaven to some people)......................

So sum it up in the Real World - at a range you have to set up your targets and get everything ready to shoot. Figure out how many times you go to the range in a month or in a year. Total up how many rounds you shoot on average on each outing and you can total the number of shots per year you take out of any one gun. Since I go to the range no more than once a month and sometimes once every 2 months I expect my guns will last till I am well over a HUNDRED years old. . . . . . How about yours?