Thread: 111 misfire issue/question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I got new ammo (hornady whitetail) and every round fired except one. Here's the weird part and maybe someone who knows more about this can help me out. The first day I had all those misfires I was loading one round at a time directly into the chamber. Today I loaded every round into the mag and they all fired. The only one that didn't was one I loaded without putting it into the magazine. Is this normal on a savage rifle? My other rifles don't do this, I had my Thompson venture with me today and loaded single shots in and they were fine. Should I contact savage or is this just how they function? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pdsass View Post
    I got new ammo (hornady whitetail) and every round fired except one. Here's the weird part and maybe someone who knows more about this can help me out. The first day I had all those misfires I was loading one round at a time directly into the chamber. Today I loaded every round into the mag and they all fired. The only one that didn't was one I loaded without putting it into the magazine. Is this normal on a savage rifle? My other rifles don't do this, I had my Thompson venture with me today and loaded single shots in and they were fine. Should I contact savage or is this just how they function? Thanks.

This is not normal. I'm suspecting dirty or damaged/bent extractor on your bolt. The extractor is not snapping over the top of the rim of the case like it's supposed to. Remove the bolt from the gun, then carefully remove the extractor, so the spring doesn't take off for parts unknown (some guys do it with the bolt head in a ziplock bag to catch the part.

Check the extractor and spring for dirt, burrs, machining chips, etc, being caught between it and the bolt face.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot