Thread: "inexpensive?" 2000 yd group and score based on a 111 action

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Very nice! I LOVE nitriding, aka Tenifer by Glock and Tufftride & Melonite by some. Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, although nothing new, IS the future of firearm “coatings”. And it’s not even a coating! Which makes it optimal for bores, as there is no material added. Plus, it comes in any color you want....as long as it’s BLACK!

Are you having QPQ done Mike? And the bore as well? I am curious, as I’ve not seen results of bore life increase in the premium barrels of bolt guns. In AR the world, we are seeing a substantial increase in bore life and accuracy over Chrome lining. It’s not even close!

Banned
    i believe qpq is a brand name for a very similar process.
    i am having houston unlimited do my parts.
    yes the bore is done. i had the bbl on my mk13 sniper rifle done...it gets more velocity than any
    advertised similar combination.
    so longer bbl life, i THINK less friction/drag, more velocity all added benefits of a black finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Very nice! I LOVE nitriding, aka Tenifer by Glock and Tufftride & Melonite by some. Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, although nothing new, IS the future of firearm “coatings”. And it’s not even a coating! Which makes it optimal for bores, as there is no material added. Plus, it comes in any color you want....as long as it’s BLACK!

Are you having QPQ done Mike? And the bore as well? I am curious, as I’ve not seen results of bore life increase in the premium barrels of bolt guns. In AR the world, we are seeing a substantial increase in bore life and accuracy over Chrome lining. It’s not even close!

Banned
    QPQ “Quench Polish Quench”, is the method which is most used by purveyors through a particular process, of said. Brand names are Melonite, Tenifer, Nitromet, Tufftride and several others I’ve heard over the years. The three processes used are Salt Bath, Gas & Plasma Nitriding. Houston Unlimited does Salt Bath, which is the original process, first developed in early 1900’s. They’ve been doing Salt Bath Nitriding since the early 80’s! They nitride the barrel inside & out, and use QPQ as normal in their process. The shop has honed a very good service! Great choice! They would definitely be one of my front runners for Nitride services.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    i am having houston unlimited do my parts.
    What does having a barrel done cost?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    my price is $165 for the bolt head, the bbl and the recoil lug, plus return shipping,
    and 3% for using a credit card.
    more than my last bbl but still reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    What does having a barrel done cost?

Banned
    Wow! That is a great price for quality Nitriding service!

Banned
    yes i hing ip om a company that said $300 plus.
    my first was about 125 delivered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Wow! That is a great price for quality Nitriding service!

Banned
    Yup! $300 is vey common for high quality Nitriding. $180 is “good”. $125 for the service I know Houston Unlim. delivers is outstanding! Like I said, they were already on my short list. After hearing that price, they just moved up to #1 on my list!

Have been a an a huge fan of Nitriding for some years now. Every AR I’ve built in the last 5 years(more than a couple) have had their barrels, flash hiders & every part of the gas system Nitrided! On top of that, every single one shot sub moa..