Thread: Do 308 and 223 AICS style mags interchange?

Basic Member

Do 308 and 223 AICS style mags interchange?

I was wondering. If there is a short action savage with DBM for AICS style mags in 308, will the 223 AICS style mags work? Can the same DBM be used, or are they different?
    Mags such as this: https://mdttac.com/us_en/mdt-polymer-magazines.html
    They look the same from the outside, but I can not find any definite answer.

This all comes back to this thread I posted in off topic:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...a-223-bolt-gun

I have found a used savage in 308, set up for AICS style mags, in 308. It has a stock with the wide front end like I wanted, it already has a scope base, rings, a nice vortex scope, and it set up for AICS style DBM. Price is not bad considering it comes with a scope. All I would need to do (assuming the mag system will work) is swap out the barrel and bolt head.
    I may spend a little bit more money than I would buying the mossberg, from the above post, but I still would have to buy a scope and rings for the mossberg. The savage already has them.
    I do like my savages and I'm thinking having another one makes parts and accessories easier to buy, not to mention I already have the tools needed to work on them, and I am very familiar with the platform.
    While it will not take AR mags like the mossberg (it was never a requirement, but a small perk) it will still be detachable mags, which I did want. I also feel like I will end up with a better and more accurate rifle. I can sell the old savage barrel (heavy threaded) and recoup some of the money for the new barrel.
    My local gun shop had a 308 mossber mvp and I took a look at it. I was not quite as impressed with it as I thought I would be. I guess I am spoiled by my savages.

Basic Member
    I bought an Oryx chassis to mate up with a .243 action. I liked the chassis so much that I thought of getting another one for my .223. So I bought a Ruger RPR .223 AICS mag to test with. Yes, it's the same dimensions. I did have to modify the feed lips to get the Ruger mag to work in a Savage action, but it fits in the stock just fine. In theory all AICS mags are the "same".

So what I'm reading is that I can put a Savage .223 barreled action in my Savage 10 BA Stealth chassis and use a .223 AICS magazine? Is this correct celltech?

Basic Member
    As long at it's the same sized action I don't see why not...

Awesome!!!

Basic Member
    Nice. Exactly what I was hoping for.
    Well time to see if I will be lucky enough to get it.
    I think in the end I will happier, even though I might be spending a little more than I was originally wanting to. The only thing about the rifle I do not like is the stock color, but that can be changed pretty easy with some quality paint.

Banned
    Yes, AICS magazines in 223 & 308 are the exact same external dimensions. The internals(follower) are changed/modified to accommodate each. You were correct in your thinking.

Basic Member
    Well I won the auction, there were no other bidders. Rifle is a 110 tactical left hand in 308. Comes with a vortex scope and a bipod. I think I did alright on the price when considering if you were to price everything separately and new.
    It saves me from having buy a scope and rings. And I like that it is already set up for AICS DBM, has the accu stock, and tactical style bolt handle. The scope might not have been exactly what I would have bought, but it should work perfectly well for what I want to use the rifle for. Plus I can always upgrade down the road if I want.
    I should be able to sell the barrel to help recoup the price of the new one. Then all I will need is a new bolt head.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/810859160

Banned
    Congrats. Glad you are happy with your choice. Looking forward to seeing your finished rig.

That was a good buy!