Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I think is a great Ballistics proggram

Basic Member

What I think is a great Ballistics proggram

1st let it be known I am not an expert, but I come across this ballistics program that for the $12 price tag, I think is one heck of a deal.

the name is Strelok Pro, it installs on an android ( may be available for I* as well ). It has a ton of scopes in it, pick your and it will show the reticule, setup your caliber, enter in
    the sightin data and weather etc., can do moa, mrad or both, elevation, windage, inches, clicks, metrics, energy, will show you hold point on the target ( also customizable ) with your reticle, you can adjust your elevation on that screen to change shown hold point, calculate amount of lead based on info you input...

you can pick from quite a few factory loads for all calibers, or input your handload data for loads.

heck I don't know, got way more than I am smart enough to understand, yet is pretty simple to figure out how and what to do. Compared to some others and it appears to match as for the hold points, you can set your range, calculate, or go to table and it will show you in my case 100 to 1000 yards in 100 yard increments, but you can put in what you want it to show.

only way to beat the price is if it was free ( and there is a free version ) but for $12 well worth the money.

See what you think, Strelok Pro..

may the "dings" be with you...

Basic Member
    I love it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's been a fantastic App for me over the last 3 years. I've trued my ballistics with it out to 1000 yards (976 to be specific). I just got a new phone (Samsung 8) that has an internal barometer that measures my current station pressure. Before that, I used my kestrel wind meter to get by barometric pressure (and still do just to compare the 2 readings).

So, if you've got either or both of those options you can't beat it.... Best $12 I've ever spent... The only other app I'd consider using would be the Applied Ballistics app.

Basic Member
    Ditto to all 3 posts....

Been using this app for 3 years now, and I love it.

Basic Member
    Works great and well supported. So many of these guys sell this stuff then leave you twisting in the wind. Not the case with StrelokPro

If you have Facebook, go to group and ask to join, all of the information that you need is there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyerwy View Post
    1st let it be known I am not an expert, but I come across this ballistics program that for the $12 price tag, I think is one heck of a deal.

the name is Strelok Pro, it installs on an android ( may be available for I* as well ). It has a ton of scopes in it, pick your and it will show the reticule, setup your caliber, enter in
    the sightin data and weather etc., can do moa, mrad or both, elevation, windage, inches, clicks, metrics, energy, will show you hold point on the target ( also customizable ) with your reticle, you can adjust your elevation on that screen to change shown hold point, calculate amount of lead based on info you input...

you can pick from quite a few factory loads for all calibers, or input your handload data for loads.

heck I don't know, got way more than I am smart enough to understand, yet is pretty simple to figure out how and what to do. Compared to some others and it appears to match as for the hold points, you can set your range, calculate, or go to table and it will show you in my case 100 to 1000 yards in 100 yard increments, but you can put in what you want it to show.

only way to beat the price is if it was free ( and there is a free version ) but for $12 well worth the money.

See what you think, Strelok Pro..

may the "dings" be with you...
    I downloaded it a while back, have not put it to the test though but there were some pretty big discrepancies between it and one my friend uses that has been proven accurate. Example, my friends shows about a 5 mil hold and when putting in the same data in strelok it show almost 14 mil hold.. that's far to big of a difference for them both to be correct. I still plan on actually trying it on my rigs but I'm suspicious. If you try it or have tried it would you mind posting your load data etc and strelok output data?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    It's been a fantastic App for me over the last 3 years. I've trued my ballistics with it out to 1000 yards (976 to be specific). I just got a new phone (Samsung 8) that has an internal barometer that measures my current station pressure. Before that, I used my kestrel wind meter to get by barometric pressure (and still do just to compare the 2 readings).

So, if you've got either or both of those options you can't beat it.... Best $12 I've ever spent... The only other app I'd consider using would be the Applied Ballistics app.
    Applied ballistics is the one my friend uses that we have found to be accurate.. as I mentioned in this thread I had downloaded strelok some months ago and when we put in known accurate data AB said 4.8 mil hold at 1000 yards and was correct but strelok says almost 14 mil hold... I will double check my data entries but I'm pretty sure they were correct.. I have the ebr-2c reticle and strelok has ebr-2b but they should be the same.

If you start to see discrepancies with the data, you can verify it in the AP and it will adjust the numbers to match. Check YouTube for videos.

Basic Member
    I put in some data in the Hornady Ballistics app and have shot with it, with my 223 frontier(Hornady) BTHPM 55grain 3240 fps factory load, using the settings it gave me, I was able to get on target at 300, 400, 500 and 600. In checking the data between the strelok and the Hornady, both were pretty darn close, keep in mind I fudged a little on the atmospheric data inputs 'cuz I didn't know them at the time on the Hornady.

Based off my limited testing, I am surprised it is so far off, something is not right..I would check your inputs.

Rob

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kurusty View Post
    If you start to see discrepancies with the data, you can verify it in the AP and it will adjust the numbers to match. Check YouTube for videos.
    Cool, thanks for that.. you mean strelok can be adjusted to correct for discrepancies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Applied ballistics is the one my friend uses that we have found to be accurate.. as I mentioned in this thread I had downloaded strelok some months ago and when we put in known accurate data AB said 4.8 mil hold at 1000 yards and was correct but strelok says almost 14 mil hold... I will double check my data entries but I'm pretty sure they were correct.. I have the ebr-2c reticle and strelok has ebr-2b but they should be the same.
    Something you plugged in data wise is not right, to have that large of a discrepancy. Even when I trued my drops (started at 450 yards) then went to 900+ and my drop data was only off by a few clicks.

Check these videos out, they explain it better than me typing it.
    https://youtu.be/ex8QmxnCv0E
    https://youtu.be/VX3Y6kHIa60

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kurusty View Post
    Check these videos out, they explain it better than me typing it.
    https://youtu.be/ex8QmxnCv0E
    https://youtu.be/VX3Y6kHIa60
    Cool, I bookmarked them, I'll check them out

Been using Strelok Pro for years.
    But, the biggest downside I find with the Strelok products is they don't yet function with G7 BC's
    This accounts for most discrepancies beyond 500 yards.

Strelok Pro now has G7 capabilities. The Library isn't real extensive, but they have a pretty good list. Even if they don't have your particular bullet in the library. You can get the G7 BC off the box of bullets that you use and plug it in manually.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Strelok Pro now has G7 capabilities. The Library isn't real extensive, but they have a pretty good list. Even if they don't have your particular bullet in the library. You can get the G7 BC off the box of bullets that you use and plug it in manually.
    Thanks!, just upgraded and G7 options are there, new version isn't quite as easy to input data, but for $12 its an awesome product.

Been using Strelok Pro for several years now with no issues. I'm guessing there was a serious data entry error in the above example of it being way off compared to AB. I've tried AB as well and to me it wasn't as intuitive or user friendly.

Where I think most people run into problems with such apps not being accurate is when shooting factory loaded ammo and just using the claimed muzzle velocity from the manufacturer rather than getting a true MV reading of the ammo from their rifle with a chronograph. The difference in MV between a 18" barrel and a 26" barrel can be a couple hundred FPS which makes a significatn difference in drop at longer distances.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I thought it's had g7 for some time

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Been using Strelok Pro for several years now with no issues. I'm guessing there was a serious data entry error in the above example of it being way off compared to AB. I've tried AB as well and to me it wasn't as intuitive or user friendly.

Where I think most people run into problems with such apps not being accurate is when shooting factory loaded ammo and just using the claimed muzzle velocity from the manufacturer rather than getting a true MV reading of the ammo from their rifle with a chronograph. The difference in MV between a 18" barrel and a 26" barrel can be a couple hundred FPS which makes a significatn difference in drop at longer distances.
    I don't, well I didn't have a chronograph, but I just tracked down my new magnetspeed sporter and its at the PO! yay! anyway, that is what I did is plugged in the mfg stated data, and I have noticed that while both Hornandy and strelok pro are pretty much the same, both are a little bit high in MOA adjustments, I assume the data is in or out off a 24" barrel, the 12v has 26" so perhaps that is a contributing factor, but at any rate, it gets me on target. Thanks Mr. Baker for the assistance.

Basic Member
    Looks to me like “your friend” has confused mils and MOA,as 14 MOA is pretty darn close to 5 mils.
    That being said Vortex has a free ballistics calculator that also has reticle range options and will give actual yards for their bdc reticles as elk as the Christmas tree type reticles too,making holdovers a breeze. I just print out the grid and tape it to my buttstock. I itch 36moa of drop right on the reticle I can holdover up to and past 1000 meters,cartridge dependent.
    The vortex ballistics calculator also allows the user to input a different manufacturers reticle,thus giving the shooter actual yards for their particular scope.
    Did I mention the vortex ballistics calculator is free

Basic Member
    I am using Shooter app. Also tried Hornady and they both seem the same with the calcs

i tried it last weekend once i had muzzle velocity measured from the chrony. Sighted in at 200, the program predicted a certain elevation for 300 and it was on. I plan to try it out farther when i can. 450 or so is about as far as i can try locally

i might try it with my 458 win mag lol pretty close to sighted in at 100 and its rate of drop to 300 would be an interesting test lol

Basic Member
    lol..yea that 458 would be similar to a mortar round wouldn't it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyerwy View Post
    lol..yea that 458 would be similar to a mortar round wouldn't it?
    300 grain hollow point at 2400. My light deer brush load. 0.197 bc lol. Its got a BDC reticle nikon scope so curious how accurate the circles are. Granted i never will shoot any game over 100 yrds with this thing unless i ever decide to go elk hunting in timber out west with a buddy of mine, but i’d rather use something else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast