Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
I thought the same thing with my .260 and the 143 ELD-X for hunting Elk (based on ballistics and the 6.5x55 taking moose). That is until I watched a guy shoot a 6 pt Bull Elk with the 6.5 PRC and the 143 ELD-X from 300 yards. He had to shoot it 4 times... The first 3 shots didn't even make the Elk flinch... Sounds like that .270 might be what you wind up building. the .270 with a 24" barrel will get that bullet moving2900-3000 fps. I had a .270, but I tore it apart to build the .260 Rem.
Sectional density is critical when it comes to bullet performance along with the type of construction being appropriate for the type of game being hunted.
I don’t have any experience with the new eld bullets. I use either the sst or the interlock line up from hornady. We’ve never had that 4 shot problem. I wonder if it was the bullets that didn’t expand properly or what happened.
The sst and interbond perform very similar except the interbond has a lead tip which helps penetrate a bit farther before total expansion occurs. Put it in the boiler room and game expires very quickly due to vitals turning into chunky soup.
As far as barrels go I don’t take chances so I buy known quality even if it costs more.