Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walmart special axis 223 heavy barrel reloading journal

I was able to get the brass resized tonight only bumping the shoulder 2 thou. For my next load I will be trying the 75gr hornady hpbt match bullets. I have not decided on a powder yet but it will be an extruded powder. I have 8208xbr on hand and also varget. I might pick up some 4895 or something different I just have not picked yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    I was able to get the brass resized tonight only bumping the shoulder 2 thou. For my next load I will be trying the 75gr hornady hpbt match bullets. I have not decided on a powder yet but it will be an extruded powder. I have 8208xbr on hand and also varget. I might pick up some 4895 or something different I just have not picked yet.

If you’re going to try a new powder out I suggest looking for one that completely fills the case as this helps improve consistency as a whole. There will be an optimal burn rate powder perfect for the weight bullet you want to use. I’ve found superformance and the 140 grain class of bullets is a perfect match in my 260.

I agree with you 100%. Most the time when I reload I tend to use powders on the slower end of the spectrum so this aids in filling the case up. I don't call a good load a good load till my sd and es are in the single digits.

It might not improve accuracy but it will improve function. I was able to get the stock bolt knob threaded today and will update with pictures once it is on the rifle with the new knob.

Here it is all mounted up

The 75gr hornady hpbt bullets are ordered. I plan on doing the satterlee load development procedure for these. I have had great luck with this in the past. Thinking of using cfe223 and imr 8208xbr.

The bullets have arrived was able to pick up 100 75gr hpbt hornady for 14.99. Will load this weekend and hope to get a chance to test them out between rain showers next week.

Was able to get out today this fist group was some factory nosler 40gr stuff I was using as fouling shots. This was with a fresh cleaned and oiled barrel. Not to bad for not shooting in so long

Did some satterlee load development on the 75gr hornady hpbt they had no problems stabilizing. Veloicty ranged from 2500 up to 2700. Not bad for a 10 shot group with 10 different charge weights. I was using imr 8208xbr in lapua brass.

Better photos the first set turned out a little blurry for some reason

After reviewing the data looks like the only good node on the current test was down around 2550fps. I'm looking for more speed then that so I have not hit any pressure signs yet so I'm going to load 2, 5 shot groups at the max load I tested and the other group at .3 over the highest load I tested.

after a long hiatus I was able to get out to the range today. Using some left over ammo from my old 223. The loads were 69gr Barnes match bullets pushed by cfe 223.

Sent from my REVVL 2 PLUS using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    You have had as good a luck with yours as I have had with mine. I settled on Varget for powder at 23.5gn with the 77gn Sierra Match Kings. Shoots 1/2 inch groups or less at 100yds. I just tried IMR 4166 today after watching CFJunkie do load work on his 12FV in .223. It was just as good as the Varget for groups, but, is about 100fps slower (2700 vs 2600). The nice thing is it shows less copper fouling than the Varget, so will stay with it and see if the 600yd performance is just as good.

I have been using military brass for a bit. Winchester cases wear out after 4 loadings (primer pockets get loose). The military stuff (FC and LC) lasts for 5. I will probably break down and get some Lapua brass next.

I also had some great 1" groups when I was not weighing charges. Just throw from the powder measure. I had pretty good luck with Nosler 69 and 77 match bullets as well. They aren't quite as good as the Sierra's, about 0.2MOA larger groups. The Hornady 75gn did about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    You have had as good a luck with yours as I have had with mine. I settled on Varget for powder at 23.5gn with the 77gn Sierra Match Kings. Shoots 1/2 inch groups or less at 100yds. I just tried IMR 4166 today after watching CFJunkie do load work on his 12FV in .223. It was just as good as the Varget for groups, but, is about 100fps slower (2700 vs 2600). The nice thing is it shows less copper fouling than the Varget, so will stay with it and see if the 600yd performance is just as good.

I have been using military brass for a bit. Winchester cases wear out after 4 loadings (primer pockets get loose). The military stuff (FC and LC) lasts for 5. I will probably break down and get some Lapua brass next.

I also had some great 1" groups when I was not weighing charges. Just throw from the powder measure. I had pretty good luck with Nosler 69 and 77 match bullets as well. They aren't quite as good as the Sierra's, about 0.2MOA larger groups. The Hornady 75gn did about the same.
    I've been excided that this 1:9 twist has been able to stabilize so well. This gun will be my sub 500yd gun for the most part. I would like to challenge my abilities some time and take it to 1k if I ever get the chance. I have some varget I'll be trying with the Hornady 75s. I'm interested in seeing how the lapua brass holds up. I will be annealing ever 2 firings.

Basic Member
    Yep, the ability to stabilize those heavier bullets has been a surprise to several of us. I want to be able to shoot less than MOA at 600yd off my bipod or bag. I'll try 1000 one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yep, the ability to stabilize those heavier bullets has been a surprise to several of us. I want to be able to shoot less than MOA at 600yd off my bipod or bag. I'll try 1000 one of these days.
    Yes unfortunately where I live there are very few spots to shoot 1k. I can shoot out to 500 on my own land but more than that is hard to find.

Basic Member
    I understand. Up until a few years ago I didn't realize how lucky we are with the range we have. It is a city maintained range, free for any to use and has no on site personnel. I am amazed how well most people behave out here too as I have seen 'free' ranges go to ruin quickly from just a few hooligans.

When we moved I expected to find some similar ranges and found out how bad the situation is in most of the country. Many locations are lucky to have anything beyond 200yd and a huge number are limited to 100yd. Glad we moved back here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12