Thread: New Savage 111GNS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Typically I prefer a hand rubbed oil finish like tru oil but poly fit the bill to do the transition across the pinstripe on the old model 11 I did. Currently that stock is just sitting in my man cave as I changed that .243 over to a .308 carbine with a 16" barrel and a detachable mag synthetic stock that I cut down to a 12" length of pull added a home made adjustable cheek riser and painted. Heck I even painted the cheap black nylon sling

No telling what this little lefty model 11 might look like next, but for right now I love it as a little 36" overall length carbine.
    I understand the desire to get finished and shoot it but if you leave the stock as is and work on it a little at a time it can be an ongoing project. You can probably find another one wood or synthetic if you just wanted one as a project to work on while you shoot your rifle for about $35 or so in the classifieds.
    Good luck and keep us up to date on your project. As always if you need any help or suggestions there is a world of Savage knowledge and some really good tinkers here so just ask.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Be careful where you set that one down. You may not be able to find it later!

How is the bark with the brake?

BHJ is slowly becoming one of my heroes. That's saying a lot! My heroes are John Wayne, Cline Eastwood, Matt Dillion, Barney Fife and the likes..............

I mostly shoot reduced loads (125gr and H4895 at 2400fps) out of this little rifle with the grandkids nieces and nephews, along with recoil reduction one of the benefits is reduced muzzle blast and noise so the bark isn't that bad when using them.
    When I put it together I was a little worried about recoil because of the lighter weight so I opted to brake it.
    When it comes to muzzle brakes it seems you either love em or hate em and I'm one of those guys who loves them.
    Even with full power loads and the short barrel it doesn't seem as loud as most any of my long actions, even those with no brake. Those supersonic .223 and 22-250s are ear splitters too with that high pitched supersonic bullet crack.
    I always wear ears even when hunting so the brake is not a problem for me.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    BHJ is slowly becoming one of my heroes. That's saying a lot! My heroes are John Wayne, Cline Eastwood, Matt Dillion, Barney Fife and the likes..............
    I probably should clarify the previous post as to why BHJ is becoming one of my heroes. It's because of the excellent work that he does on his rifles. Plus, he's a hunter!