Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
Man I'd suggest an old flatback from the 1990s (F serial #) maybe a model 11 in a synthetic stock for a couple of reasons.
They're an older model without all the latest features so they're not so much in demand, therefore can often be bought for a song.(maybe around $200+-)
The sporters are relatively light and easily tuned up with the factory parts.
Trigger is easy to tune to a very good pull, they're easy to bed
The way the stock and butt pad attach they're easy to shorten the length of pull.
A rattle can paint job on the stock can make a big improvement.

On the down side the old stagger feed blind mags are getting harder to find if you need an extra or mess one up and the factory detachable mag models aren't really compatible with anything.(though a conversion to aftermarket may be feasible I've just never tried it)
Maybe I prefer them because I've tinkered on them so long and I'm comfortable with them.
That's my .02 keep us updated whatever you decide to do.
The lack of availability for magazine parts these days is the killer for the older staggered feeds. If you can find one already setup for .223 that's one thing, but anything else I'd pass on as you may spend a year or more trying to track down a mag box and follower for a blind mag, and staggered feed detachable mag parts are all but unobtanium these days.