Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbit Hunting: Shotgun or Rifle?

Basic Member

Used both .
    Always thought the Marlin lever action 410 would be a blast rabbit hunting.
    Henry makes a 410
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member
    Model 24 22/410, and decide on the fly! That was years ago in lower Michigan.

Last few times I've been out rabbit hunting were with a recurve bow and blunts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7TBg6at.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	7295

Fun with muzzleloading shotguns as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SdfQ59x.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	7296
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Years ago my older brother and I would hunt with his dog or his FIL's dog and shotguns. I remember one of the last times we went I had his pump .410 and he had his single shot .410. His FIL's dog brought one up and it stopped on the other side of a draw from me, between 10 and 15 yards from me. I drew a bead and my bro said you'll never hit it. I took a shot and the rabbit rolled down into the draw. When he picked it up we saw that one pellet hit it in the eye and killed it. Luckiest shot I ever made. I wish we had a place to hunt now cause I'd love to go with him again and use our 22's. (My 10/22 for me)

For many years I used a .22 rifle, in particular a Remington Model 33 single shot. I think squirrels have to be close to triple digits with this gun, along with them its taken rabbit and even woodchucks. Sadly after getting hurt a while back, my left arm isn't as steady as it used to be so I have switched to shotguns because I am better and don't want to either miss or wound game only for them to wander off and die. So now I have started in the last two years of running with either an old Marlin 410 lever action, I also have a really handy Husqvarna Model 20 double in 12 gauge that I handload with light 7/8 ounce loads and just recently I found a very nice Browning Auto-5 Sweet 16 to use this year.

The Remington 33

The Husqvarna Model 20

Marlin 410

Basic Member
    OK
    Rabbit hunting here up north on the open the prairie Is difficult and is more of a long range operation.
    There are a lot of cottontail in the AG lands and around ranch houses and buildings and such.
    BUT most people won't give permission to strangers to come in to there yards and start shooting with any kind of gun.
    Jack rabbits are a scope and shoot thing, 22/250 6mm's and a like. It is a lot of fun when they turn white and the snow has all blown off the prairie. Cottontail we try to get on a higher spot and scope the sage flats often you see them Sitting beside a sage plant getting some sun, This can be the best in big snow on a sunny day. There again center fire for sure.
    About the only shot gun bunnies' we get are ones that jump when we are hunting birds.
    No dogs just blind walking, you never want to shoot a rabbit that has jumped on a bird dog then they think that is what there looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12