Thread: Savage 260 LRP Accuracy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Charlie B. It would appear we are experiencing similar problems. I ordered the KG12 last nite and I already have JB. Read an interesting article on “range 365” by a gunsmith who claims the majority of people coming into his shop with guns that won’t hold accuracy are actually fouled even though the customer claims they have cleaned them. He says to remove the fouling requires aggressive cleaning and that in come cases fouling is layered. Carbon, copper, and more copper concealed by more carbon. Says sometimes cleaning requires repeated carbon removal followed by copper removal. He sees this quite often. A lot of scrubbing and a lot of patience are required to remove the layers. He actually says he uses bronze bore brushes even though they are attacked by copper solvent and he also uses JB diluted with Kroil after giving a good long soak with just Kroil only as it penetrates and loosens. Then cleans out residue with a jag of acetone to remove all solvents and the repeats application of copper
    solvent with nickel or plastic jag to look for any trace of blue. If blue is indicated then repeats the whole thing. In a rough barrel the fouling actually prevents the barrel from settling in as repeated shots are contacting the fouling already laid down rather than polishing the bore.
    Then again on good barrels he says they clean quickly and easily especially custom hand lapped.
    Im going to apply acetone followed by KG12, followed by acetone followed by carbon remover followed by acetone etc then check the bore
    with borescope or sweets 7.62 for blue. He says some factory barrels leave the factory rough. If this doesn’t do the trick before I toss the barrel I will try Tubbs final finish as the last resort. I can say the savage barrel looks rough with the borecam while the Shilen is really clean and very smooth.
    https://www.range365.com/dirty-littl...t-gun-cleaning
    Last edited by rmkey; 01-27-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Add url