Thread: 12 FV or 11 VT .308

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    If you are buying ammo have you thought about a .223 instead? Very accurate at medium ranges and much cheaper to shoot. If I were limited to less than 600yd that would be my main rifle, maybe my only rifle. I can shoot to 1000 so I have a .308 for the longer ranges.

My 12BVSS (.308) has a blind mag but I never use it, just single load by dropping the round in the action. The Axis in .223 does not feed well just by dropping a round in so I load up the box mag. And, no, the Axis mags are not the greatest, but, it works.

Between the two models I'd be hard pressed to make a choice. Maybe the one with the heavier barrel?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If you are buying ammo have you thought about a .223 instead? Very accurate at medium ranges and much cheaper to shoot. If I were limited to less than 600yd that would be my main rifle, maybe my only rifle. I can shoot to 1000 so I have a .308 for the longer ranges.

My 12BVSS (.308) has a blind mag but I never use it, just single load by dropping the round in the action. The Axis in .223 does not feed well just by dropping a round in so I load up the box mag. And, no, the Axis mags are not the greatest, but, it works.

Between the two models I'd be hard pressed to make a choice. Maybe the one with the heavier barrel?
    Thanks for the reply charlie b.

The 12fv from cabelas Canada is only offered in .308 and 6.5creedmore and the 11 vt is only offered in .308. That was part of the reason for thinking of going with .308 ihad been thinking about other rifles offered in .223. For the range thats available to me it wouldnt be a problem and the further out I go the more challenging and fun it would be however I dont want to be kicking myself later wishing I had a little more if ever i can get out further.

I think cabelas only offering in a savage chambered in .223 with a varmint barrel is a model 10T-SR and at $849 I can buy a few rounds of .308 with price difference of the 12fv. that being said Id imagine the 10t-sr is a better quality rifle.

I cant compare the barrel thickness between the 2 as the local cabelas only has the 12fv in stock.