Thread: Savage Lightweight Hunter wood stock - ouch!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    I realize I never updated this thread with my final build out.

Here's the end product - a 7mm-08 Axis barrel (the Grendel just wasn't quite what I wanted in the end) on a model 10 short action, bottom bolt release, in a walnut LWH stock. I topped it at first with a 9.9 oz Leupold 1.5-4x20 scope (as shown), but got a good deal on a VX-2 2-7x33 (also 9.9 oz). Dropped that in some Talley low rings, and that's what it will wear from here on out.

Total rifle weighs 6 lbs. 15 oz. and points like a dream. This is the first bolt action hunting rifle I've owned that reminds me of my beloved pre-64 Winchester 30-30. It balances and points just as good. I've already had friends who want me to build them one. I am not sure I've ever seen a better looking wood stock.

Its working for me now thanks
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Team Savage

Looks good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great looking rifle! Good job!!!

Basic Member
    Great looking rifle.

Are the back rings touching the magnification dial? They look awfully close, but it's hard to tell from the image.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    Great looking rifle.

Are the back rings touching the magnification dial? They look awfully close, but it's hard to tell from the image.
    They were close but not quite. The mag. dial will - just - fit in the little valley in the Weaver base if you're using the low quad-lock rings.

Funny thing - I replaced those Weaver bases and rings with Talley lows, and I was concerned whether the mag dial would clear. When I got them in, I realized the mag dial on that Freedom series was just a hair too large diameter to clear on the low Talleys if I wanted it that far forward. When I replaced the VX-Freedom in the pic. with the VX-2 2-7x33, the mag dial "just" cleared the base portion of the Tikka rings, as I had hoped it would. I was tickled to say the least. So I mounted it up only to discover that the little black allen head screw that secures the mag dial in place, made contact with the base as it was rotated to it. Easy fix though. I pulled that screw and filed a half mm off of it, then blued it with a cold blue pen and reinstalled it. And it worked perfectly. The mag ring on my new scope clears by a gnat's hair and the scope is nice and low and forward where I want it.

I'll try to post some new pics of the final (final) setup with the Talley low rings and VX-2 scope. It's pretty darn sweet.

Honestly, I like that model 10 action in the LWH stock more than I do the LWH action. Cleaner lines to me.