Thread: barrel swapping

barrel swapping

Good or bad idea? I have a near new BA Stealth in .223 and an older pre accutrigger 110 in 260 Rem. Im really liking the performance of my 260 since it was bedded and the barrel was lapped among some cosmetic stuff but I like the BA's chassis, fits me well for shooting better. The 260 barrel is a sporter and the 223 is a heavy target profile. I cant afford any new barrel, or stock now so would it be logical to swap the barrel and bolt heads on these rifles, and thanks in advance for the input.

I'd say leave them as they are for now... Shoot the hell out of the .223 heavy barrel and leave the .260 alone if it's shooting well now. Once you've shot out the .223 barrel, then rebarrel the chassis with a heavier profile .260 barrel.

Like a Criterion or Shilen from NSS.

Basic Member
    I would say that if you want to mix and match the components of the two rifles that you own, go for it! To swap barrels you will need a two go gauges (.223 & 260), barrel wrench, barrel vice and/or action wrench and maybe a couple of slotted barrel nuts (if the existing ones are smooth). At this point the cost is starting to skew the wrong way. You will want to check into all this your self but it is something to consider.

Swapped over a .308 to a 6.5 creedmore, not difficult at all but you do need a few special tools. I had a good vice so Im just got a set of "barrel" vice aluminum jaws. Got a barrel wrench and bought one go gauge. You can tighten the barrel down so bolt works on go gauge, then put a piece of regular scotch tape on gauge and if adjusted right the bolt won't close. Took some playing but got it down fine. Tip if your barrel slips in vice I used black electrical friction tape to help hold it.