I know there is a lot of information already out there regarding the 338 RUM vs Edge, etc. and I've read all that. I need some additional information before I start building a new rifle....

First of all, my use for the rifle is to mainly punch paper / hit steel. I might do a little long range hunting, but accuracy at ranges beyond my 308 is the big goal. I may even use it for some tactical shoots that go between 100 and 800 yards for the fun of it. It will always run 300gr SMKs or equivalent/better.

My first question is velocity. Due to several reasons I'd like as short of a barrel as possible. I'm thinking 24" max, and would prefer something closer to 20". How much will I be losing with the short barrels, and would the RUM be superior with the shorter barrel, or does the Edge still reign supreme? I will be using a brake at a minimum, and would love to put a can on it in the future if $$ allows.

My second question is whether anyone has successfully converted an Edge/RUM to a detachable box mag on the Savage platform? I haven't found any information that it has been done, but there are a lot of creative people on here... If it has been done - how?

Thanks,

Danny