Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
Purpose-built ELR sticks, sure...
"Budget", not so much- but depends on what your definition of "budget", is. Can you do it with a factory rifle with an aftermarket prefit? Again, sure- but at ELR every bit of accuracy helps.

I'm putting together a .338 LM (maybe AI, not sure yet). Forget the cost of the rifle itself (as a riflesmith, at least my labor is "free"), consider "support" equipment...

NF ATACR 7-35x56 F1 $3,600 my dream...may need to settle for less- but a real, quality optic is a must for clarity at one mile.
Laser Rangefinder...best that can be afforded.
Ballistics program (Coldbore)
Kestrel
Your spotter's gonna need some high-end glass, too... ($ remote camera system $ would be nice...)

No doubt, if you've got a mile available- you'll get the "bug" and eventually want a purpose-built ELR rig when funds permit.

Damn, I hate guys like you that can step out their back door...and shoot!
Was going to wait to order the scope till last, but I went and pre-ordered the Vortex Razor HD Gen II. Saved $700 pre-ordering vs. waiting. I did hear that Vortex will be dropping the price, but I'd wait to see. Anywho, this build will definitely not be budget oriented: Mausingfield action, McMillan A6 PRS stock, Brux Barrel in 338 Norma Magnum, plus loading equipment and a silencer. I still need to purchase a really good spotting scope, laser range finder and a range in Georgia where I can shoot to a mile.