Thread: Bolt hang-up on Model 10 BA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sounds like something in the chamber or a carbon ring. Are there any marks or scratches on the brass or bullet?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Thx for the input. No marks on bullet or casing. Carbon ring makes sense. I did scrub chamber with solvent but its a difficult area to see and access. A snake camera would be ideal. Ill reclean chamber with long tapered brush and solvent. Im very reluctant to remove barrel to get access to chamber.

After a weekend in zen mode with the gun. I have exhausted trouble shooting causes to eliminate everything but the front head of bolt. The chamber does not have carbon ring by direct inspection with bore scope after reverse (Chamber to muzzle) with brass brush cleaning, removed ejection mechanizing, removed floating lug, removed firing pin post anything that would get caught during bolt function. After all of that it functions fine without a cartridge, but continues to hang on empty shell casing and live round. After elimination, the only thing left is the front head bolt lug. Replacement of that piece is $32, maybe small price to test theory before gunsmith or sending back to Savage. What say you all?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWalk View Post
    After a weekend in zen mode with the gun. I have exhausted trouble shooting causes to eliminate everything but the front head of bolt. The chamber does not have carbon ring by direct inspection with bore scope after reverse (Chamber to muzzle) with brass brush cleaning, removed ejection mechanizing, removed floating lug, removed firing pin post anything that would get caught during bolt function. After all of that it functions fine without a cartridge, but continues to hang on empty shell casing and live round. After elimination, the only thing left is the front head bolt lug. Replacement of that piece is $32, maybe small price to test theory before gunsmith or sending back to Savage. What say you all?
    ]
    Changing the bolt head most likely requires barrel "removal" to set headspace anyway. Never have seen the bolt head change, other than damage from leaky or "blown" primers. And even then headspace does not change.

Robinhood's approach is what I would take
    If chambering factory ammo requires pushing and did not before then chamber / abutment lugs are dirty or your barrel has been "turned in" somehow. You did not mention if you or a smith has replaced or adjusted the barrel. If that has happened the headspace may need to be re-adjusted.
    One last thing but I have never seen is a loose barrel nut. If the barrel nut were to come loose the thread fit would allow the barrel to become mis-alighned with the reciever. But I doubt if it would shoot decent if that happened.
    Last a check for primary extraction timing is to remove rear baffle and try chambering new brass. If it now chambers freely the pe timing may be off. Remember that bolt handle changes often cause issues like this. The baffles themselves are kind of like snowflakes with no 2 being the same. Any mismatch of bolt handle and rear baffle may cause issues in one or both directions. This can also happen with a bolt body change.
    A lot of variables for proper pe. Wear on baffle and bolt handle will affect extraction but not chambering.