I purchased a savage 116 in .338 win mag to use as a dedicated moose gun and would like to upgrade the stock and I am looking for some recommendations. I contacted Boyd’s regarding their laminate stocks and they replied saying they do not recommend using any of their stocks with a .338 win mag. I’ve done some searching and have found several magnum caliber builds that use Boyd’s stocks without any issues.

Getting a muzzle brake installed is also an option if I must, but I don’t find the recoil very bad with a lightweight plastic stock.

Also, weight is not an option as I don’t carry the gun freehand much, and a good rest is never far in northern Ontario. I’ve handled several rifle builds that use Boyd’s laminate stocks and they seem to be well built and I don’t see why they wouldn’t recommend using a .338 in their stocks. Maybe they misunderstood me and thought i was talking about the .338 lapua?

I guess my question is, has anyone had any problems with Boyd’s stocks while using a magnum caliber?