I have 2 SS xcal's in both .223 1:7 5R and a .243 1:8 5R. I have not gotten serious in playing with them yet, but both are shooting 1/2 MOA or better with the right load. And while they did get some copper in them it cleaned up real easy...much easier than my Savage barrels. I assume the ease of cleaning is due more to the lapping than anything else.

I don't have the time, energy or tools to try and compare to my standard grooved barrels. But in my mind I like the concepts of 5R and what it does/can/could bring to the table.

As for your question of 6 vs 3. Maybe ask yourself just what are you going to do with it? Seeing how you are going 26" I figure on some long range stuff? Maybe go for the 7 twist and 5R and shoot the really long, heavy bullets. I would almost think the less grooves you smash in with the button the less overall stress you will have in the metal...but who knows. I think the quality of the blank and the straightness of the hole is far more important. And then the lapping takes care of the chatter marks...that Savages are full of

What chamber are you having reamed into it? And really...it's a $250 barrel...get 2 and compare them.