Thread: Accuracy Check

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    300 rounds would be a good approximation. I'm afraid I don't keep a round count. Factory stock. Sightron 10X24 scope. No pillar bedding. No glass bedding. To be honest, I won't be doing any of those things. I suppose you may say I want to get the best out of what is there-a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I suppose.
    Well, I'd say you chose some great Glass (I have the SIII 6-24x50 FFP) and if you're not going to put an aftermarket stock on it, then you're about as good as its probably going to get. You may find a small improvement if you find a good aftermarket stock. You may even find one that is already pillared or has a pillaring block.

IMO, you've built a great platform, and it's actually shooting really well in it's current state of build... (Especially in .308 shooting 175s) My suggestion is since you've gone this far (and have done it right) that you finish building it out just a tad more (Stock and pillar bed) and you'll probably get the mind numbing accuracy that the CBI barrel is known for. I'm a perfectionist though, so I want every last bit I can wring out of my setup.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for your reply and the encouragement. I'll look into stocks. Any brand you suggest? I've learned, over the years , to do a good deal of smithing with pistols and rifles but I've never learned a thing about bedding or know someone who has done it. My other rifles have Nightforce scopes and eventually I hope to replace the Sightron with a the more powerful Nightforce