Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
Probably because not many distributors or dealers ordered rifles chambered for that cartridge or even knew Savage was going to have it available this year. Also, not being a hugely popular cartridge it's likely going to be one of those you have to have your dealer order from their distributor for you.

IMO the .280AI really has little more to offer performance-wise than the 7mm-08 (basically about 200fps), whereas the 7mm-08 offers several benefits the .280AI can't (fits a short action, less recoil, greater availability of factory ammo, etc.). The newer 28 Nosler isn't going to help the .280AI's popularity either. I'd be interested to hear how well the .280AI feeds from the magazine as having two rifles chambered for AI cartridges myself (one staggered-feed, one centerfeed) I can tell you from experience they don't always feed silky smooth due to the sharp shoulder angle and lack of body taper.
The not knowing it was available sure makes sense. I stumbled on to it by accident looking at twist rates on their website.

I looked at 7mm-08 and unless I'm missing something other than a bigger diameter bullet it doesn't offer much over my 6.5 Creed. I like the 28 Nosier but it's a barrel burner. I'm still considering 7mm Rem mag but for the 85% hunting I do in the southeast (whitetail and hogs) it seems a little much

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk