Quote Originally Posted by 69gen1 View Post
Just got the hrdy oal gauge, and the bullit comparitor, and the cartridge headspace comparitor..when I use the oal gage with the hrdy 178 hpbt bullit I get readings of 2.870 withen .03 +- because of the tips .the ogive reading is 2.203 2.204 .I am just sticking in the lands a tad bit but bullit does stick but easily comes out its not hammer tight. if I set my oal to book 2.800 that puts the ogive at 2.130..that's a .074 jump if I'm doing all this right .which is takeing up a lot of case space i think..i am useing there modified case on the gauge but also useing there headspace comparitor it only shows like .003 less than my fired formed brass.next up is the hrdy 168 amax withe a average 2.823 max oal with a ogive reading of 2.184 and 2.185 average over 5 projectials which back to book spec of 2.800 that means I'm about .020 from lands...all this is new to me and I have not reloaded any rds for this rifle it's only shot factory.i know ever bodies rifles are not the same .so any info from u all is appreciated what u all are seeing with these bullits or I'm not doing it right....thanks to all
That's wild the shilen barrel that I put on my Savage gives me virtually identical measurements that you typed out there and I ended up settling with just an overall length of 2.800 on the 178 grain Hornady ELD and that works perfectly. I played with jump space from .005 on out and I dont remember without looking at the paper I did all the math on but the jump spaced I ended with gave me 2.800 oal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk