Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
Roger that. Reason I'm looking I into a 7m08 is I'd like to preferably go light on the pills. Already have a 6mm.....6.5mm. Love them both. I've become more inclined to shot those as opposed of my 308 1-10 twist shooting heavy 175SMK. As much as I hate to admit, the older I get the more I appreciate the lesser recoil from the 6,s
A pound of H4895 and some 125 or 130gr bullets may be just what you're looking for.(125gr NBTs and TTSX have worked well for me) H4895 can be loaded safely down to 60% of a max charge in most any caliber but definitely .308 specifically and anything in between the 60% reduction and a max charge is safe allowing you to tune the recoil, muzzle blast, and velocity to fit your needs. This powder has made the "what caliber for kids, ladies, and recoil sensitive shooters a mute point. There is a good bit of published reduced recoil data out there using it.
I started doing a few reduced loads in .308 for the grandkids nieces and nephews and got to where I love to shoot em myself. The kids (Ages 6-10) will go through 50 rounds of .308 and beg for more (Please Pop Please) with a big grin on their faces. I have found they have plenty of thump for deer as well when loaded to around 2400FPS with recoil that feels like a .243 or less. Might want to shoot someone elses 7-08 side by side your .308 before dropping coin on one. I wish someone had saved me the learning curve (time and money) before I jumped in to 7-08 instead of being persuaded by the "hype".
Now if you just want something different than the tourists then more power to ya.
More than one way to skin a cat. Have a good time with whatever you choose