Thread: Using spotting scope to see bullet holes at 600 yds... possible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Thanks for the info... after some research, I see that the investment (money+time) between the homemade version, and the Caldwell cam is about equal, and given my propensity for doing things the hard way, it seems I would be better off with the Caldwell...provided someone doesn't shoot it... I have 2 range memberships, and haven't made it out this year at all...

Basic Member

Using spotting scope to see bullet holes at 600 yds... possible?

Quote Originally Posted by mbohuntr View Post
    Thanks for the info... after some research, I see that the investment (money+time) between the homemade version, and the Caldwell cam is about equal, and given my propensity for doing things the hard way, it seems I would be better off with the Caldwell...provided someone doesn't shoot it... I have 2 range memberships, and haven't made it out this year at all...
    Some a-hole deliberately took too shots at mine. I didn’t realize it until i got to the car. At first I assumed I has some crazy errant shot by me. Then at home I analyzed the trajectory by putting a cleaning rod through the holes to measure the angle of incidence. At about 90yds from the firing line the shots came from a position 30ft to my left. There was a guy shooting from there so I’m sure it was from him but at that point there was nothing I could do.

Fortunately the shot just embedded into the 3/4” mdf frame inside of the case and didnt hit the camera or antenna.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
    Some a-hole deliberately took too shots at mine. I didn’t realize it until i got to the car. At first I assumed I has some crazy errant shot by me. Then at home I analyzed the trajectory by putting a cleaning rod through the holes to measure the angle of incidence. At about 90yds from the firing line the shots came from a position 30ft to my left. There was a guy shooting from there so I’m sure it was from him but at that point there was nothing I could do.

Fortunately the shot just embedded into the 3/4” mdf frame inside of the case and didnt hit the camera or antenna.
    I have read some people put a AR plate in front of the camera to protect it from idiots...

Basic Member
    I have read some people put a AR plate in front of the camera to protect it from idiots...
    Nice way to protect the camera but it is going to draw attention and people are going to want to ring it.....

Darrell

Basic Member
    In my design that would block the omnidirectional antenna signal, which happens to be the second most expensive component.

Ive taken it our dozens of times without incident so maybe this the one and only dick move that ill have to experience at the range.