Thread: Using spotting scope to see bullet holes at 600 yds... possible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbohuntr View Post
    I am getting ready to stretch 'er out to 600 yds soon, and am wondering if I am better off with a camera system, or a spotting scope? I don't mind using the shoot-n-see style targets if it works...
    With Shoot-N-See targets and a very high end Spotter like a Vortex Razor HD you might be able to resolve shots at 600yds. However for $300 you could buy a Bullseye Target cam. $600 for the extended LR version. I’ve used it and It’s a good product.

However you could also build your own for probably $150 in parts. I posted a DIY build on Maryland Shooters. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=201095. My home range is 200yds but I’ve tested it using the dual antenna setup out to 600yds at Ft. Meade range. The antenna’s I used should allow me to extend out to a mile. There is nowhere I could shoot that far near Maryland but I’ve been meaning to just set it up along a straight road and test it out at a mile just to prove that it works.

Feel free to post questions here or on Maryland Shooters. I don’t mind answering them in the public forum it might help others to build their own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
    With Shoot-N-See targets and a very high end Spotter like a Vortex Razor HD you might be able to resolve shots at 600yds. However for $300 you could buy a Bullseye Target cam. $600 for the extended LR version. I’ve used it and It’s a good product.

However you could also build your own for probably $150 in parts. I posted a DIY build on Maryland Shooters. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=201095. My home range is 200yds but I’ve tested it using the dual antenna setup out to 600yds at Ft. Meade range. The antenna’s I used should allow me to extend out to a mile. There is nowhere I could shoot that far near Maryland but I’ve been meaning to just set it up along a straight road and test it out at a mile just to prove that it works.

Feel free to post questions here or on Maryland Shooters. I don’t mind answering them in the public forum it might help others to build their own.

Oh GREAT!! Another obsession... my second hobby is electronics.... I suppose it will have a pan tilt zoom on it as well.... i was looking for another project anyway... good stuff! Thanks!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbohuntr View Post
    Oh GREAT!! Another obsession... my second hobby is electronics.... I suppose it will have a pan tilt zoom on it as well.... i was looking for another project anyway... good stuff! Thanks!
    If you do take on a project like this I’d be more than happy to share notes and my 3d printed parts. To be honest I researched using Arduino or RPi to build my own camera with gimbal but in the end the Foscam worked well enough to get the job done. However having a mechanical zoom would be quite handy. Also I wish I knew how to program an app or something that could be specifically designed to recording and scoring targets.