A full blown BR .22 is going to leave any stock .22 rifle in the dust. I almost had my greedy little mitts on a great one about 8 months ago but I waited too long and it got away from me. It turned out ok though because I bought my 12 LRPV instead and that thing is the cat's meow. Still a MkII with a varmint barrel is nothing to sneeze at. I've shot 5 round groups of .111 with mine at 50 yards. I also shoot ARA targets where 2500 is perfect. My best target has been a 2150 which is right up there with a lot of custom built rifles. It isn't a world class shooter by any means. The real talent shoots perfect scores from time to time. I know a guy who does that. He has helped me a lot with my shooting.

A top level BR rimfire usually means a really good receiver (like a 40X, an Anshutz, a Turbo or a Hall or maybe a Suhl) with a high quality trigger (Jewell etc.) with a barrel from Shilen or Benchmark or Hart and a BR stock from McMillen or Myers or Hall and a tuner from one of many places and most of all it needs to be put together by someone who really knows what they're doing. That's the kind of rifle you'll need to win major BR competitions. I could have bought one for $1000 last winter but I blew it. Still I'm completely happy with my Savage. I got really lucky on that rifle too. It shoots great groups in stock form and if I add a SSS Competition Trigger I would expect it to get even better. I'll be doing that sometime soon.

If my MkII was more consistent (I've tried to work out the problem for over a year now) I believe it can shoot even better scores on the ARA targets I shoot. I shoot off of sandbags which is one thing that could be improved. But shooting competition only has a limited appeal to me especially at my club because they like to shoot for money and I have religious scruples about that. I may join a different club where they don't shoot for money. There's one a lot closer to me but they don't have a long range setup though. I may join both to be honest.