Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget scope for savage 12fv 6.5 creedmoor

Budget scope for savage 12fv 6.5 creedmoor

I ordered me a savage 12fv 6.8 on black Friday and wanting to get a scope that will be good on it. I am wanting it for long range target and garment. Mostly coyote but wanting to go on pd hunt soon. Not wanting to spend a fortune on one but not wanting a cheap one that I'm not happy with either. I probably have plenty of time to order one because the gun is still on back order but hoping it will be in soon.

Basic Member
    Mueller scopes offer great bang-for-the buck. They aren't top of the line target scopes, but they are very reasonable priced for what you get. Their target/tactical scopes in higher magnifications are the ones I own and I like them.

6.8 SPC, or 6.5 Creedmoor? No such thing as a 6.8 Creedmoor.
    I take it you don't know anything about focal plane differences or dialing? What kind of Mag range are you wanting? There are tons of options that may work, but need some more specifics.

I'm something of an old hand at cheap shooting gear! Here are a few specific suggestions.
    • I'm a Primary Arms fanboy, so I'll go ahead and throw the Primary Arms 4-14x44mm FFP scope out there as an obvious choice. It's a good choice for learning the long range game. The only thing I'd hesitate about is the subtension of the crosshairs. At 0.088 mils, they're going to be covering almost an inch at 300 yards, which may be a little thick for long shots on varmints (and certain garments). The mil dot version can usually be had for $230, but I see they're on sale for $207 right now.
    • Another option that probably comes out of the same factory in China is Athlon Optics. The Talos BTR and Argos BTR line of scopes look like a slightly more polished version of the Primary Arms scopes, but they seem to be newer to the market and don't have quite the same following among cheap shooters that PA does. Still the reticles are finer than the PA mil dot (which, in truth, is not exactly a true mil dot), which should help with smaller targets farther out, and they are illuminated, which helps keep them visible. Street prices for Athlons are a bit pricier, running from $299 for the 4-14x44mm Talos to $389 for the 8-34x56mm Argos.
    • SWFA makes a good line of scopes too. The fixed power SS line has great glass, and the mil quad reticle is well suited for the kinds of shooting you mention. The fixed power scopes are probably your best value here, but I find it's helpful sometimes (if I'm not on a square range) to zoom out when I'm locating my target and then zoom back in to shoot. That's not to say it can't be done with a fixed power scope; it's just another factor for you to consider.

I'll also give some general recommendations on what to avoid.
    • I'd shy away from any cartridge-specific BDC reticles or turret systems. I barely trust those with the cartridges they're designed for. Having the ability to fine tune your shot, whether by turret or by holdover, will help you at long range in the long run. That's probably why there aren't many or any scopes built around the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    • The Primary Arms and Athlon scopes I mentioned earlier are both made in China, and they're about the only from that country I'd trust. In short, if it has multicolor reticle illumination, avoid it!
    • I hope whoever decided that having mils on the reticle and MOA on the turrets was a stupid idea is now fabulously wealthy. It seems so obvious, but evidently some manufacturers still do this. Make sure the measurements on your reticle and turrets match.
    • The 6.5 Creed typically needs about 7.5 mils (25 MOA) of adjustment to reach 1000 yards. This might rule out a number of high magnification scopes built on 1-inch tubes. Check the specs. Make sure the total vertical adjustment of the scope you get is about twice the adjustment you need.

I have no affirmative or negative recommendation for the following:
    • Focal plane. Even though I zoom quite a bit, I don't mill at lower magnifications. There's no reason to. But if there's a situation where I don't turn the power ring all the way to the precise power level needed for milling—whether by accident or some sort of obstruction—I know a FFP scope will still give accurate measurements.
    • Mils vs. MOA. Actually I do recommend mils. I also recommend using the metric system to eliminate a lot of unnecessary math. Even for someone who thinks in imperial units like me, it's easier to convert target sizes to meters in my head and use the 1:1000 factor to find the range than trying to work with those horrible coefficients that imperial units require. And since your data is going to be computer generated anyway, you can have the computer regurgitate the ranges in meters rather than yards. Although, if you plan on using a rangefinder or range calculator in conjunction with the rifle, there's really no need to pick one or the other.
    • Illumination. As I mentioned before, it can help make a fine reticle more visible, but I don't do a lot of shooting in low light when it's most useful.

I'm a fan of Burris optics. An E1 in the magnification of your choice is a fantastic deal if you shop around. In my opinion the best value for the money spent in the optics industry. I really like the reticle that allows for holdover out to about 600 yards or so rather than dialing and should match up well to the 6.5 creeds published ballistics.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Ha yes 6.5 creedmoor. I hit the wrong one some how. Thanks for the replys so far i will look into them.

Always used Nikon or Leupold entry level scopes, never had a problem period....Just procured a Vortex Viper HS Long Range and shot it in today for the first time....Love it, easy to zero and the glass is good as the others, plus the warranty sold me on this optic....Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171201_1530343_rewind.jpg  
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    I would also look at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II. I have a coworker who runs the 5-25x version on a 300WM rifle used primarily for hunting and is very happy with it. He said that the glass is very clear.

Has anybody ever tried a Mueller or a Bushnell banner. I have one of the older Bushnell banners and it has been through a 30 06 and 270 and has took several drops and is still working fine. But I have heard some bad about the newer ones.

Basic Member
    I started out with Millet scopes, have a 4-16x on my Savage .308, and a 6-25x on my .223. they run between $300-$500. Have had good luck with them out to 600 yards. I have since moved to more expensive scopes for better glass for F-class shooting but still use the Millets on those 2 rifles.

I have 3 of the Leupold "Rifleman" series, a 3x9 & 2 4x12's. Glass is good in all 3, no complaints about them in any way, held zero on 223's and a 204. I just needed more power for these old eyes at 200 yds and more, so I mounted some Mueller 6x25's. So far I like the Muellers but have only shot them enough to zero them after mounting. I guess it depends on what distance you're going for and type of shooting you plan to do.

Basic Member
    For an entry level scope in the 4.5-14 range, Sportsmans Warehouse has the Burris FF II for $199 right now. I do like the Primary Arms 4-14 at around $250.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Always used Nikon or Leupold entry level scopes, never had a problem period....Just procured a Vortex Viper HS Long Range and shot it in today for the first time....Love it, easy to zero and the glass is good as the others, plus the warranty sold me on this optic....Good luck.
    What I chose for my new 12FV in 6.5CM. Waiting for the base (due in Tuesday) to mount scope.

Basic Member

Nikon entry levels are nice. Glass is pretty good and holds zero. I do think the tracking is not as great.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    What I chose for my new 12FV in 6.5CM. Waiting for the base (due in Tuesday) to mount scope.
    Awesome and congrats....I had some time from waiting to pickup to deciding what optics....originally had a Leupold VX two, 6-18-40AO on my radar, for the glass and objectives....Final answer was the Viper HS Long Range 4-16-44mm.....Never looked back....Hope it holds up like the warranty says.....
    Already zeroed at 150yards. 0.5 MOA, so next is at longer distance, soon after deer season is over....oh, I went with Leupold base and Burris extreme rings (lows) with a Vortex bubble level....Good luck and report back...Best, PS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171201_1449130_rewind.jpg  

Team Savage

Awesome and congrats....I had some time from waiting to pickup to deciding what optics....originally had a Leupold VX two, 6-18-40AO on my radar, for the glass and objectives....Final answer was the Viper HS Long Range 4-16-44mm.....Never looked back....Hope it holds up like the warranty says.....
    Already zeroed at 150yards. 0.5 MOA, so next is at longer distance, soon after deer season is over....oh, I went with Leupold base and Burris extreme rings (lows) with a Vortex bubble level....Good luck and report back...Best, PS
    That's too funny, initially, I was considering the VX2 4 -12 x 50 but opted for the HSLR instead. Chose to use Weaver 20moa base with Burris Extreme medium rings but think I probably should have gone with the low ones instead. Will see. One more delivery tomorrow and then I can start assembling everything. Weather permitting, hope to burn some powder next week.

Basic Member
    I bought a nikon black x1000 4-16x50 and I've been really impressed with it.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    That's too funny, initially, I was considering the VX2 4 -12 x 50 but opted for the HSLR instead. Chose to use Weaver 20moa base with Burris Extreme medium rings but think I probably should have gone with the low ones instead. Will see. One more delivery tomorrow and then I can start assembling everything. Weather permitting, hope to burn some powder next week.
    Vortex Viper HSLR is all set....Finally set the CRS/Custom Stop after my last weeks range zero....So today I confirmed that CRS....moved the turrets 10 to 15 turns and reset back to the stop...PERFECT shot back to Zero.....Very impressed with this HSLR....Good tracking and with the left side adjustments that provides optimal image focus and parallax removal....is very helpful....Hey Phil, how did you make out with your range time....I think you'll be fine with those Burris Medium rings....Range report back...

Team Savage

Vortex Viper HSLR is all set....Finally set the CRS/Custom Stop after my last weeks range zero....So today I confirmed that CRS....moved the turrets 10 to 15 turns and reset back to the stop...PERFECT shot back to Zero.....Very impressed with this HSLR....Good tracking and with the left side adjustments that provides optimal image focus and parallax removal....is very helpful....Hey Phil, how did you make out with your range time....I think you'll be fine with those Burris Medium rings....Range report back...
    Parts delayed in shipping so wasn't able to mount scope until yesterday. Had hoped to run a few rounds today but didn't feel like sitting out in 28 degrees with a light breeze. Got a full schedule this week, so not sure if I'll get time. Will report back when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleb0789 View Post
    Has anybody ever tried a Mueller or a Bushnell banner. I have one of the older Bushnell banners and it has been through a 30 06 and 270 and has took several drops and is still working fine. But I have heard some bad about the newer ones.
    Depends on what you want. Those are all SFP scopes, so you likely aren't dialing any corrections. Most of the entry level scopes should be reasonably reliable if you are a "set and forget" type guy. Where scopes run into issues, is when you start dialing them. Even most current Leupoldsand Vortex's Razr Gen 2 don't live terribly long if you dial and shoot a lot. Shoot a few hundred rounds a year and likely no issue. Shoot and dial constantly and you'll run into trouble. I typically shoot a few thousand rounds a year across a few rifles, not what the average hunter does; so the results are different.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Even most current Leupoldsand Vortex's Razr Gen 2 don't live terribly long if you dial and shoot a lot..
    Ran a Gen2 Razor for just about 2yrs with around 5-6K rounds on it in PRS events constantly dialing and shooting. Was still dead on before I sold it to another shooter getting the same use out of it without issue. That being said all things break in due time... Better built higher quality things tend to take a little longer though....

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Ran a Gen2 Razor for just about 2yrs with around 5-6K rounds on it in PRS events constantly dialing and shooting. Was still dead on before I sold it to another shooter getting the same use out of it without issue. That being said all things break in due time... Better built higher quality things tend to take a little longer though....
    What are you currently using Phil?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    What are you currently using Phil?
    Currently, I’m working with the Bushnell XRS2 4.5-30x50. This is by far the best scope Bushnell has ever produced. It’s has not held me back in anyway so far and has my seal of approval.

There are better scopes yes, but a lot of bang for your buck in a smaller lighter package than most others. I’m running the H59 Reticle package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    SWFA 12x42...I can't overstate just how nice the fine reticle is to aim with. I also have the 16x42 but at that point the eyebox gets pretty tight and you really have to line it up perfectly. But for the money they can't be beat and feel indestructible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast